How About An Oscar?

lrhodes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What are the chances I will get a baby Oscar and he will eat one of my BN?

I've seen them kept in the same (large) tank before just fine. I've noticed that most other fish will leave bristle nose alone. Sort of the same principle of keeping cory with betta the betta just ignore them as long as there's enough room. 

Minimum tank size for oscars is 75g, and even that I wouldn't feel comfortable with for such large fish :/

lrhodes said:
What about in a 55 gallon?
They grow over a foot long and do so pretty fast. I feel like 55 gallons is too small for the long term health of the animal. I've seen them kept in tanks that size and they seem to have trouble even turning around. 

in general a oscar and a BN should be fine together, but not in that size tank. If you plan on upgrading you could keep a baby oscar in there, but I'd recommend ~100 gallons for a adult oscar.

I agree. I kept two Oscars in a 75 gallon once. They were 13" and 15". HUGE FISH. Way too big for that size tank. You need 100 Gallon or 125 Gallon. And you need it rather quickly. They grow fast if you feed them consistently. Bristlenoses are usually okay with everyone. They are fierce for their size. lol

OK.... so... I'll hold off on an Oscar. (I will have a pair one day!!!!)
So... what's a big fish that I can have like two in a 55?

Angelfish might be alright, would wait and see what others say though :)

Angelfish would be good, although it would depend on the depth of the tank. Some 55 are taller. Maybe Jack Dempseys, Firemouths, Any african Peacock or Mbuna (breeding pair or trio only), Labs. Lots of options. Anything you like?

Ugh.... I don't like the angels...
Its longer than tall. Its about 4'x2'x1' I think... being 4 feet long. And taller than deeper... if that makes since?

Yup. Standard 55 Gallon.

Take a look at the ones I mentioned. There are a lot to choose from.

There is a guy in Texas that sells cichlids. I am NOT MAKING A POST ABOUT THE SELLER. I just am using his site as a place to look at photos of African cichlids. www.davesfish.com

Jack Dempseys would do fine in a 55g, but I would only due 1 jack, or a single pair with no other fish. I had a BN with Jacks and they killed it when they bred. Oscars, if big enough, will eat attempt to eat a BN. NOt always, but I have seen them try, and a friend of mine had to pry a BN out of his oscars mouth with pliers as the BN got stuck. NO damage to either fish, but prompted for a really quick stocking rearrangment.

Ugh.... my problem is I like bottom fish... and I'm pretty much to full capacity on the bottom. Lol. And all the fish I like for middle and top swimmers are too big or too mean.

OK... so... I like the green terror. And the fire mouth pretty well. Can anyone tell me their temperament and if they fit a 55?

Most reactions

Back