Hmm My Poor Baby Mickey-Mouse Platy :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SMSBrunetteGirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok well my platy has had this white thing on their tail and looks like its eating away the tail,I would think its a parasitic tail rot or something?OMG I just looked at it again and half of its tail it gone!I think its a parasitic tail rot..is it? :/

Is it like fluffy or some sort of animal
How long has this been going onWhat otherfish is in the tank and what size is it
what is your water readings

Do some salt baths straight away, also add some salt to the tank if you have no scaless fish.

Ok now the platy is in a jar with aeration.I put in this medication called Maracyn and just did a 100% water change.Ok I bealiev this has been on for a few days all i know is my water reading mustve been about 0.50 but I did a 50% yesterday and today.1 Fancy Guppy,1 Lyertail Molly,1 Fish I forgot,1 Zebra Danios,and an adult Mickeymouse platy the tank is 20 g and I know its not overcrowded

Hmm is there diff kinds of salt?And I dont have any except the ones u use in food..

SMSBrunetteGirl said:
Ok now the platy is in a jar with aeration.I put in this medication called Maracyn and just did a 100% water change.Ok I bealiev this has been on for a few days all i know is my water reading mustve been about 0.50 but I did a 50% yesterday and today.1 Fancy Guppy,1 Lyertail Molly,1 Fish I forgot,1 Zebra Danios,and an adult Mickeymouse platy the tank is 20 g and I know its not overcrowded
I mean ammonia is all I know

I was also wondering what kind of salt to use for situation like these......anyone? Does it have to be the kind from the LFS.

The general consensus seems to be that iodized table salt (such as Morton's in the US, usually comes in a cylinder with a spout on top) is questionable. Some people say it's okay to use, and the fish can benefit from the iodine, others say that you're just adding more chemicals to your tank.

Kosher salt, however, is widely accepted, very inexpensive, and easy to find (in most parts of the US, at least). Diamond Crystal seems to be the most common brand around here. It's pretty cheap and has the benefit of being useful in the kitchen as well -- not something I'd do with aquarium salt! :p Kosher salt (in my experience) tends to come in a rectangular box (like a cereal box) with a spout on the side. It should be marked with something along the lines of "suitable for koshering", or the ever-subtle "Kosher Salt", and it may be found in the kosher food section of your grocery store, as opposed to the cooking area.

Keep in mind that kosher salt doesn't have the anti-caking agents that table salt does. In other words, it might clump up, particularly if you keep it in a moist area, like the kitchen. The clumping doesn't hurt anything; you can just squeeze the box a bit to break it up before pouring.

And remember -- never pour salt directly over whatever you're adding it to, whether it's your aquarium or your batch of cookie dough. It's much safer to measure in a "neutral" area, so that you don't inadvertently overdose!

Good Luck,
Pamela

Awful been there, sorry for your loss, R.I.P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back