High Temperature Tolerant Plants

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I am going to be setting up a discus tank soon and since they require fairly high temperatues, at least in the low 80's I need to know what sorts of plants are tolerante of higher temperatures.
Also, is there a good general watts-per-gallon rule for lighting a planted tanks?

thanks
josh

Hi guys.
I am going to be setting up a discus tank soon and since they require fairly high temperatues, at least in the low 80's I need to know what sorts of plants are tolerante of higher temperatures.
Also, is there a good general watts-per-gallon rule for lighting a planted tanks?

thanks
josh

Hi Josh, and welcome!

How big is your tank? WPG is a really vague guideline. I still kind of use it, but in a really general sort of way, I shift the numbers down significantly, and much of what I advise with WPG depends on whether or not the hobbiest is going to inject CO2 or not and the size of the tank.

A better question to ask you is "how do you want to maintain your aquarium?" You will be keeping discus, which require high temperatures and pretty delicate water conditions. Heat tolerant plants include the following.

Amazon swords
Cryptocorynes
Anubias
Saggiteria
Vallisneria
Java fern
java moss
Nymphaea

The list above is typical in literature and websites, but I can vouch that most of the species survived being in an outdoor tub in Miami, FL during a tropical summer, the water temp was near 90 for extended periods, so I'm pretty sure they will be fine in 82degrees. Many websites sell, Discus specific packages.

There are two ways to do this. All this depends on whether or not you want to add CO2. The plants above will do well regardless of whether you chose to add CO2 or not.

Take a look at the journal section and see what kind of tank fits your ideas for maintenance.

llj

Thanks lldjm06.
The tanks is going to be a 75gal, 36 x 24 x 24.
For lighting I was thinking of maybe a twin t5 unit, with 2 bulbs of around 36watt.
I dont really want to add CO2 as the oxygen level will already be pretty low due to the warmer water. I will be adding an air pump to boost the oxygen up so adding CO2 will be pretty wasteful.
I might think about adding some form of fertisilser, depending how how it will affect my water chemistry with regard to nitates ect.
Overall I am just looking for simple plants that will do fine with just a decent light and the nutrients produced from the tank, low maintenence is the word im looking for. :)

josh

Thanks lldjm06.
The tanks is going to be a 75gal, 36 x 24 x 24.
For lighting I was thinking of maybe a twin t5 unit, with 2 bulbs of around 36watt.
I dont really want to add CO2 as the oxygen level will already be pretty low due to the warmer water. I will be adding an air pump to boost the oxygen up so adding CO2 will be pretty wasteful.
I might think about adding some form of fertisilser, depending how how it will affect my water chemistry with regard to nitates ect.
Overall I am just looking for simple plants that will do fine with just a decent light and the nutrients produced from the tank, low maintenence is the word im looking for. :)

josh

Then aim for between .5 and 1WPG of T5 lighting, if that is the bulb you plan to use. If you can get to about .75WPG of standard output T5, you'll be in great shape to grow all the plants I listed above, and you can add aponogetons to the list too. Plant pretty densly and you'll be set. I dose with a good all-purpose fertiliser that has both macro nutrients and trace. Now, my tank is mature, I only do waterchanges about once a month, depends. When it was younger, I did them weekly, but not a lot.

Rather than an airpump, I would add a powerhead or two to get the water moving gently within the tank. I have seen discus thrive in pressurized CO2 setups. As long as your surface agitation consists of many fine ripples and you have good tank circulation, out-gassing your discus isn't going to be a problem, and you will keep your CO2 levels stable. Yes, even if you go no injected CO2, you still have CO2 levels that your plants can work with. They are low, but there.

Ok thanks :) youve given me alot of great help there.
I think to start with I will aim for at least .75 wpg of t5 lighting and no C02. I might get a CO2 after a while if I get into plants more. I will also possible add a powerhead or two for some light water movement.

What is a good all-round fertiliser?
And what about substrates? Gravel, sand, special plant compost?

josh

You're welcome.

If you find an all-purpose that doses macro and micro nutrients. I use TPN+, which doses both. It is readily available in the UK, and on eBay. At least that is where I get mine. It, for me, is worth the extra cost of shipping as it is very easy to use. Another option is to make your own ferts. Under fertilization in PARC, I have an outside link.

Many here use soil base substrates, or special plant substrates with excellent results. Because I dose through the water column, I tend to just use the substrate that the fish I want to keep prefer. Substrate is just not as important to me and if I'm doing a tank on the cheap, I'll cut corners on this aspect of the setup.

llj

Ok I will see what substrate takes my fancy and can fit my budget nearer the time.
So my shopping list has come down to this :
-substrate
-power head
-surgical scissors for pruning
-fertiliser
-light unit (around .75 wpg)
-and the plants, most of which from the list youve give.

Thanks llj, youve been a great help!

josh

Ok I will see what substrate takes my fancy and can fit my budget nearer the time.
So my shopping list has come down to this :
-substrate
-power head
-surgical scissors for pruning
-fertiliser
-light unit (around .75 wpg)
-and the plants, most of which from the list youve give.

Thanks llj, youve been a great help!

josh

You're welcome. Just so you don't think I'm nuts, here's a link to my journal. "tales Of The Crypts". It is a practical application of what we've been discussing. Last pictures are on page 3, post 43. The tank itself has been setup for almost 4 years. The current scape for almost a year.

llj

Thanks again, no doubt I will be back nearer the time with more questions :p

josh

Most reactions

Back