Hi My Name Is Sarah And I Have A Problem...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Humm... lots of rationalizing and defensiveness in this group. Sure sign of problem fish keeping. That is not to say you are all lost souls. As encouragement know that 18% of heavy drinkers become moderate drinkers with no treatment at all. I'm sure some of you will moderate your fish habits on your own. Nevertheless, I could set up an assessment for each of you to evaluate fish keeping abuse or dependence levels and then work on a treatment plan. I'll only charge you a minimum fee.... will help me fund the upgrade of the tank in my office. :lol:

So I'm a therapist and do some counseling in a drug treatment group. Our definition of addiction is:
1. Compulsive use - For most of you this would be a "check". For instance, Snowflake, have you told others that this would be your last tank, and then you go back on that promise and look for another, more, bigger, etc? :lol:

I told my wife no more tanks; found seven used 150 gallon tubs, not tanks.

2. Pathological use - is fish keeping adversely affecting relationships, finances, and do you still continue regardless of this? Could be a "check" for some of you. For instance, do you buy fish, tanks, fish stuff and conceal how much you spent from your partners... do you sneak fish into the tank and pretend to not know how they got there? " Well how did that cichlid get in there?" :unsure:

My non-fishkeeping friends think I'm nuts, but they thought that before I got real serious with fish. I don't buy things unless I get an amazing bargain, then I brag. This is the total opposite of sneaking, especially when I get in late from an event and play lookie lookie.

3. To change an emotional or pain state - What are you running from? :blush:

It's an exercise in brain cleaning, a sort of mental dump of all the day's stress. If I loose track of time working in my fishroom it's a real stress reliever, not so much running as chasing something away.

It would be pretty easy to set up an FA program, fishaholic anonymous.

You wouldn't want me, I'm a terrible enabler.

It would be pretty easy to set up an FA program, fishaholic anonymous.

You wouldn't want me, I'm a terrible enabler.

Don't worry we could do a group for co-dependents too.

The thing is I don't think we want help. It more we want to talk with other people that understand. :blush:

The more I think about this other tank the more I stress out. :crazy: It comes with 2 large fish I would have to find homes for. I don't need more fish. Then I think of all the work it takes to move tanks and set them up I stress out more. So I might just wait till my fish are large and need a larger tank. I am going to check the tank out if she makes me a deal I can't say no to I will take it but if I don't get a deal I will live. ;)

Most reactions

Back