Hi My Name Is Sarah And I Have A Problem...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
So I'm going to look at a 90 gal tank tomorrow it comes with 2 Uarus about 3" and a African Buffalo head cichlid. I'm going to rehome the Buffalo head but keep the Uarus. I'm a nut I tought I was done. Even since I set my 55 gal I was never happy with its size it was big but not really you know only 12" wide is not big. only reason I got it was because it was cheap $60 for tank stand and lights. I got a 90 gal around the same time but it had a very ugly stand so I sold it and kept the 55 gal.

Well the 55 gal has been up for about a year now and its time for it to come down to make room for the tank I really wanted. I'm not that crazy right what I want is normal? I'm so addicted to this hobby.

I'm going to sell the 55 gal I don't really have room for it and 3 tanks is my max any more and its just not fun for me it becomes too much work for me. So I'm not that crazy right.

nah not crazy just in a hobby ;) what are the dimensions of this one? I want a 4x2x2 soonish just as a temp upgrade but too poor for a new one atm but could do it soon maybee :(

The tank I'm going to check out is 48" x 18" x 24" I only buy used tanks. I don't have the money for a brand new tank. This tanks is only 3 years old so thats nice. It comes with everything so thats nice. SO I can sell off what I don't need with the 55gal.

Definately not crazy, unlike some. At least you have the ability to stop youself at 3 tanks, there are those who just cannot help theirselves and even though there is no room left, find themselves looking for another tank, like me :hyper:

back later there are men in white coats knocking at the door :fun: :lol:

Nope not crazy at all. I recently had to calm down as had tanks everywhere and now realised truly what I wanted and condensed many of the tanks for one very large one :good:

Definately not crazy, unlike some. At least you have the ability to stop youself at 3 tanks, there are those who just cannot help theirselves and even though there is no room left, find themselves looking for another tank, like me :hyper:

back later there are men in white coats knocking at the dood :fun: :lol:

You could be the leader of the Fish keepers anonymous. ;)

Thanks guys these forums are like suport groups for all us crazy people.

Definately not crazy. It's a hobby. To put it in perspective, music is my main hobby. I'm the proud owner of a Warwick thumb 5 TN. Amazing bass, does everything I want. Think of that like a 100 gallon tank. So then I got a Fender Precision bass. Yum. To go with my cheap rubbish bass too. I have a tama rockstar custom drum kit, 2 acoustic guitars, 4 electric guitars, a saxophone, 2 mixing desks, a 2.5k pa, a few bits of outboard, some recording bits, loads of dif mics, not to mention my amps...

Now try and say you're the crazy one...

So I'm a therapist and do some counseling in a drug treatment group. Our definition of addiction is:
1. Compulsive use - For most of you this would be a "check". For instance, Snowflake, have you told others that this would be your last tank, and then you go back on that promise and look for another, more, bigger, etc? :lol:
2. Pathological use - is fish keeping adversely affecting relationships, finances, and do you still continue regardless of this? Could be a "check" for some of you. For instance, do you buy fish, tanks, fish stuff and conceal how much you spent from your partners... do you sneak fish into the tank and pretend to not know how they got there? " Well how did that cichlid get in there?" :unsure:
3. To change an emotional or pain state - What are you running from? :blush:

It would be pretty easy to set up an FA program, fishaholic anonymous.

humm when you put it like that way you make me think I have a real problem :unsure:. Well I still only keep 3 tanks. I want the larger tanks because I'm keeping larger fish now. I also buy used tanks and I have saved a lot of money doing it that way so thats not the problem. We have the money thats not the problem.

Is it effecting my family no. Sure my husband does not get it. He thinks I'm a nut thats about it. We don't fit over it. I don't hide my fish from him and he knows how much I bought my tank for. I only do wc once a week most of the time it take an hour and a half to do the 3 tanks. Then for the rest of the week I just watch the fish from time to time with my daughter she likes the fish too.

my crazy Fish ways really started as a way to keep my mind on something besides being huge and pregnant, not much you can do in your 3rd trimester. Then when I stoped working a few month before I was due my tanks gave me something to do and keep mr busy. Now my daughter keeps me busy and my tanks are just something fun for me to do at the house. They also help me relax. My fish are also my pets and I want the best for them.

SO I'm not that bad right...?

1. Compulsive use - For most of you this would be a "check". For instance, Snowflake, have you told others that this would be your last tank, and then you go back on that promise and look for another, more, bigger, etc?

tick no 1 for me I am trying to upgrade on of my 180l tanks to a 300, I also make silly bets with my hubby (knowing he will loose) and my winnings are a fish or tank.

2. Pathological use - is fish keeping adversely affecting relationships, finances, and do you still continue regardless of this? Could be a "check" for some of you. For instance, do you buy fish, tanks, fish stuff and conceal how much you spent from your partners... do you sneak fish into the tank and pretend to not know how they got there? " Well how did that cichlid get in there?"

My hubby encourages my fish fettish, he jokes about it with friends too, as for finaces we are always broke but if we can afford fish/tanks/equipment I get it.

3. To change an emotional or pain state - What are you running from?

I am a stay at home full time mum with 2 boys not yet at school, with out my tanks to do every night I would go loopy. i cannot relax and watch tv as I seem to have no attention span and cannot stand soap opera's the only think I tend to watch is NCIS on a friday night.

Three tanks in two years is definitely not crazy or addicted. I should know - when I started keeping fish I got 3 tanks in 3 months! After one year of fishkeeping I currently have 7 tanks, 5 tropical and 2 coldwater. Oh and a turtle tank but they don't count cos they're reptiles, right?

It's like I have been getting a new used tank every year. I got back into the hobby 3 years ago set up my 36 gal. then about a year later I got my 55gal (that I never was really happy with) Then about another year after that I got my 100gal. But I just got my 100 gal a few months ago and now I want to upgrade my 55 gal. So its not that bad.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back