Hi Everyone

I don't mind bossy! just grateful for advice. There was 7.5 kilos in pics I ve put on, I bought another 5 kilos today and really pleased with how it looks now. I ll put more pics on asap. I went to a different lfs today who told me they don't advise using egg crating as the squares don't get any water flow through them so the water within them becomes stagnant, has anyone else heard this? Are the little creatures that live on the rock likely to die off during the cycle? We ve become quite attached to them! Also what is recommended depth for sand? Sorry for all the questions!!

Added another 5 kilos of rock, looks better now I think. 001.JPG

more pics005.JPG

010.JPG

Is there enough space at the back for water flow? 004.JPG

007.JPG

Tested ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph today. To be honest I'm not really sure how to get an accurate reading, none of the colours seem to correspond to the cards in test pack. It seems to be fairly subjective as to which colour it matches, if any!

I use the API myself. I have always liked and trusted API, since i started keeping tanks.

But i have the same issue as you... Im even more confused becuase my frehswater kit info booklet says the cards can be used for salt water test kit matching (not sure about testing, ive tried it a few times and think it works but i wouldnt trust it lol). If i compare to the fresh water cards then it s perfect. Strange.

That is strange, makes you wonder how these things are made! I ve decided the best way to determine which colour it matches is to test when you have a houseful and hold a vote! Beginning to get the hang of it think, I keep expecting to get this ammonia and nitrite peak but both at 0 and have been since start of cycle 5 days ago. I think my nitrate is between 10-20 though, seems to be a little higher than a couple of days ago. Is this level ok? Also lfs said I may have cycled already as the rock was fully cured and only out of water for max 30 mins. Any thoughts on this? She said to leave it another 4 days and then add some hermit crabs if the tank still reading stable. Just put koralia 2 into tank which seems to be giving a good flow :)

Its certainly possible that you are having just a mini cycle - wait for the nitrate to spike a little more, then do a large water change, 50%, wait for 24 hrs and test, if nitrate is below 10 then go get your cuc :kana:

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back