Hi Everyone

rosehartwell

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm totally new to keeping marine fish so apologies if I don't make sense! I picked my tank up last night(orca TL550) and so far have just put it in position. I ve read in a few places that I ll more than likely need to add a powerhead as the one supplied on tank isn't up to the job? any advice would really be appreciated! Also I d really like to have a blue backing on the tank but as its a nano it would obviously be on the inside of the tank, not sure if its even possible to do this? Hopefully buying a RO unit later, any advice on a good one would be great. Really looking forward to the whole process and just hoping I ve done enough reading to get me started!! Thanks for reading, Rose

If you wish to change the back to blue on a TL 550 I would get some blue Acrylic sheet cur it to shape then glue it to the Black one :)

If you are refering to the Orca Return pump in the back these are quiet week I upgraded mine to a newjet 1200 was a lot better or if you mean a circulation ump I would opt for 2 x Koralia K1s these will do the job nicely (There is a new gen of Koralias but not seen them myself might be worth a look they are amsller by all accounts)

look on flea bay at

HYDOR KORALIA NANO 1600 POWERHEAD EVOLUTION RANGE 1

Thanks Morri! Nice to have someone who knows what they re talking about! I meant the circulation pump, its difficult to know where to start to be honest! Just had a look on ebay and found the koralia 1600 at what seems like a fairly reasonable price. Do you think it matters what type of glue I use to stick the backing on? Thanks again, really appreciate you taking the time to help. :rolleyes:

I would just use aquarium safe silicon because if you change your mind you can just peel it off :)

You could just opt for a single K2 but tbh with 2 you can get better flow across your LR which is all good.

:hi: to the salty side - looking forward to watching your journey :good: got any photos yet? Have a read of some of the the many Orca tank threads on here, including my own

Seffie x
ps Trod bought one of the new Koralias, she was very pleased with it

Thanks for the welcome Seffie! I realised I have a local aquatics store today which is great as thought nearest was ages away. I bought 80 litres of Ro water which wasn't quite enough to fill enough to switch the tank on (very frustrating!)thats all I could get today so going back tom to get more. Took some pics of tank 3/4 full with sand in, I'm sure nobody else will find it very interesting but it s very exciting for me for some reason?! I ll post them soon. I ve just ordered a refractometer which is used but assuming this is ok? If I'm going to be buying RO water from my local aquatics shop do I need to buy a TDS meter? I'm hoping it's not too essential as this tank is eating money!! I think I got a good deal on the tank which came with stand, new heater, spare lights skimmer etc for £175. This marine malarky is seriously addictive, my poor 2 year old is having to entertain himself more than usual and I haven t even filled the tank yet!! :)

I would not worry about a TDS meter if you are not making your own RO your LFS should be testing there own water :)

Eh, actually we are all interested :p we want to see them :good:

I actually disagree with Morri a TDS meter only costs between £10-£15 and gives you peace of mind that your lfs is actually selling you water that is low in heavy metals etc and is being filtered properly, unfortunately it is not unheard of for lfs not to change their membranes from one year to the next :sick:

Seffie x

Ok well It's good to have different opinions I suppose! Think I ll get one within next few weeks. Been to get 7.5 kilos of rock from lfs today, not had much experience in rock before but it looks like good stuff to me! lots of nooks and crannys and just noticed a tiny little thing that looks like a fan, hope I didn't frighten it too much, it disappeared when flash on camera went off! Lfs lady has told me its fine to use the balls, ceramic media and sponge filter so using that for now and going to see how it goes. I ve noticed that most people on here have put LR rubble in the back instead. Buying hydor koralia 2800 evolution powerhead on Tuesday, will more than likely add the nano 900 before long too. Just noticed little fan has come back out to play! Trying to add pics but will have to wait till someone who knows how to reduce size? can help me.

Sounds like a good start Rose :good: but please take out the noodles and sponges asap or they will become your downfall creating high phosphates/nitrates in the tank :sick:

Seffie x

444.JPG

tank full and a bit of rock in place!

Attachments

• 460.JPG
    460.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 125
getting carried away with pics now, sorry!472.JPG

Sounds like a good start Rose :good: but please take out the noodles and sponges asap or they will become your downfall creating high phosphates/nitrates in the tank :sick:

Seffie x

Thanks again Seffie, looks like I'm going to have to do as I'm told! I ll get them out asap x

Thanks again Seffie, looks like I'm going to have to do as I'm told! I ll get them out asap x

So, sorry :blush: that did sound a bit bossy!

Lovely photos and you certainly made a good choice with the cabinet :good: lots of space for storage.

How much live rock have you got?

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back