Hi and fry/filter question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Renee

Reaction score
Hello, I've just joined:). My 6 year old got given a 63lt tropical fish tank for his birthday (personally very excited as well) and we have decided to go with Platys. It's been up and running for a month or so and so far had one lot of fry - one little one sole survivor.

So a couple of the females look close to dropping and I've picked up in my googling that sticking a bit of sponge in the filter can protect the fry from getting sucked up. I wanted to ask, is this good to do? And (stupid question alert), does it just go in the pointy bit at the bottom of the stick ☺?

Thanks so much:)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What sort of filter do you have?
If you can post a picture of the filter we can give you a bit more advice.
If the image is too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more pics. The lower res will make the images smaller and they should fit on here.

If you have an external power filter, you can get round/ cylindrical sponges from an internal power filter. These sponges have a hole through the center and can be put over the intake strainer of the power filter and help to stop the fry being sucked up.

Thank you! It's an internal filter that's built into the tank. I will take a picture tomorrow and share. :)

Tomorrow meaning Wednesday lol. My attempt at uploading didn't work but the tank is a Pandora Classica with internal filter. Not sure if that helps

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back