Herbs for Rabbit

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello! It's not fish related, but I had a question concerning my rabbit and I figured I'd ask here in case anyone knew :) I've been growing a lot of herbs recently and I love sharing them with my rabbit. There are 3 plants, however, that I wasn't able to find much information on as to whether or not they would be safe for rabbits. Any information would be much appreciated! The three plants in question are Greek Columnar Basil, chocolate peppermint (a variety of mint plant), and a stevia plant. Thank you!

Not sure about the stevia but rabbits can eat mint and basil, as well as other herbs like parsley, dill, coriander. They all have their own tastes and may turn their nose up. Usually Google is quite reliable for things which are/aren't safe for rabbits to eat.

Not sure about the stevia but rabbits can eat mint and basil, as well as other herbs like parsley, dill, coriander. They all have their own tastes and may turn their nose up. Usually Google is quite reliable for things which are/aren't safe for rabbits to eat.
Thank you!

This is what I found on stevia...
Xylitol is toxic to rabbits and will cause seizures and liver failure. As for stevia, the stevia plant is considered non-toxic. As the stevia product isn’t true sugar, it may not upset the delicate pH and bacteria colony balance in the rabbit’s gut.

I seem to remember an episode of an exotic vet show where a rabbit came in with stevia poisoning. Seizures. Stevia can be lead to digestive problems in cats. I found this: "Neither stevia extract nor stevioside has been shown to be toxic or teratogenic in mice, rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs by oral administration at low doses". However it is good to note the administration at LOW doses. I would be careful. I've grown Chocolate Mint and fed it to my tortoises. Any strong-smelling plant is not normally the number one choice for my animals. I have failed to feed my tortoises, lizard, and guinea pigs mint, cilantro, dill, etc.

This is what I found on stevia...
I seem to remember an episode of an exotic vet show where a rabbit came in with stevia poisoning. Seizures. Stevia can be lead to digestive problems in cats. I found this: "Neither stevia extract nor stevioside has been shown to be toxic or teratogenic in mice, rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs by oral administration at low doses". However it is good to note the administration at LOW doses. I would be careful. I've grown Chocolate Mint and fed it to my tortoises. Any strong-smelling plant is not normally the number one choice for my animals. I have failed to feed my tortoises, lizard, and guinea pigs mint, cilantro, dill, etc.
Thank you both! I won't feed him the stevia just to be safe. I found some more information about the chocolate mint on some rabbit forums and it seems like a safe treat so I'll let him try a bit. Thank you all again, the information is much appreciated!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back