Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ana1

Reaction score
Hi I recently got gifted two tetras. In the first week, they got along just fine but now one always chases the other one and if they're not doing that, the chased one sits in its cave thingy, while the other one swims around.
How can I make them get along again, should I separate them?? Please help.

Tetras need to be in school of at least 6+ or they get aggressive and nippy. If the nipping continues then your dominant fish will kill the other one. How big is the tank? If it is at least a 10gal then I would get them a few more friends of the same species. If it is not at least a ten gal, then take this change to get a larger tank. A 29 gallon is perfect for most tetra species, it provides plenty of room for a nice school of fish, and you can get more species of fish as well. No tetra species should be in anything smaller than a 10gal, in my opinion anyways.

What species are they? Most are topical fish that need a to be in warmer temps of around 76 or so. A good heater and filter are necessary for healthy fish. You might want to take a look at the Nitrogen cycle as well. I doubt your tank has completed it's cycle if you just got them so the fish may become ill pretty soon. You can do a fish in cycle but you will have to change some of the water to keep the ammonia and nitrites at a safe level.

I have a 20l (6 gallons I think) tank with proper equipment and you' re right i havent really cycled it. So until i can get i larger tank should I separate them ? I have another 20 l tank but i dont have a filter and heater for it too

I think I can borrow a filter and heater from a friend ( who also gave me some sand from his tank for my "cycling" ) if that helps

If the aggressive one is really putting the hurt on the other one, then separate them. Having an extra heater will help but you will have to do some water changes every day or two to keep the water stable. Try getting a larger tank as soon as you can. Buying a kit that comes with a heater and filter will probably be your best bet.

If you can also get a little bit of your friend's filter media that will really speed up the cycling as that is were most of the bacteria that break down the fish waste live. Don't rinse the media from his tank, just throw it into your filter and made sure it doesn't dry out or get too cold/hot while transferring it.

Most reactions

trending

Back