In terms of priority the plecs should go first because they are responsible for most of the bio load. The impact of the tetra in a 180G is so small I would just move them all but that's entirely up to you.

You are doing the right thing in waiting for the temp to settle but FWIW 1 or 2 degrees isn't a big deal.

So I just found this thread and came across a comment that stated ammonia is less harmful in higher pH ranges and I don’t think that’s true. I have read every book and magazine article about fish keeping I could get my hands on for several years and never read that. Ammonia at any level is harmful to a fish respiratory system and prolonged exposure to high enough levels is fatal to all fish regardless of pH. Some fish are more hardy than others but pH has nothing to do with the harmful effects of ammonia. Maybe I’m wrong.

Ammonia is more toxic at high pH not less.

Ammonia in water exists if 2 forms, ammonia and ammonium. Ammonium is much less toxic than ammonia. The amounts of ammonia and ammonium are dependant on both pH and temperature. At low pH, more is in the ammonium form than at high pH; and vice versa - at low pH there is less in the ammonia form than at high pH. But even at low pH it is quite possible to have ammonia above the 'safe' level.

Our test kits measure total ammonia - that is, ammonia and ammonium combined. So to take an example, a total ammonia reading of 2 ppm at pH 8 and 25 deg C has an ammonia component that is well above the 'safe' level. But that same 2 ppm total ammonia reading at pH 6 and 25 deg C contains very little ammonia component and should not harm any fish.

Thanks for the clarification Essjay. But for the novice we should say that any reading of ammonia in any pH range should be avoided. But I see what the commenter was saying now.

Well just a quick update. All the fish are doing great, ever since I switched to the big tank that was already cycled. Haven't had any ammonia issues. Everything has been staying as follows:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Ph- 7.4
Temp- 78
All fish are very happy, will post an update with pics and video in a separate thread.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back