Help! Gold rams, ich??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

keep an eye on the fish and if the white spots disappear in the next 2 days then it is probably whitespot. The parasites drop off the fish after spending a few days feeding on the fish. After they drop off they sit in the gravel for a few days multiplying before hatching out of their cyst and infecting all the fish in the tank.

Any whitespot remedy will work. However, it depends on what else you have in the tank.

You can teat it with heat. Get the tank temperature to 30C (86F) for 2 weeks and that will kill the parasites too. :)

keep an eye on the fish and if the white spots disappear in the next 2 days then it is probably whitespot. The parasites drop off the fish after spending a few days feeding on the fish. After they drop off they sit in the gravel for a few days multiplying before hatching out of their cyst and infecting all the fish in the tank.

Any whitespot remedy will work. However, it depends on what else you have in the tank.

You can teat it with heat. Get the tank temperature to 30C (86F) for 2 weeks and that will kill the parasites too. :)

I have two heaters in my tank.. one only goes to 78 and the other is adjustable and Iā€™ve gradually increased it to 86.. the temp varies from 82-86 right now. I havenā€™t used any meds and Iā€™m trying not to. Because of my snail and corys I feel like Iā€™m limited so Iā€™ve used only a tiny bit of salt so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot see any signs of ich in any of your photos in that link. And I certainly do not agree with the advice from some to start dumping in this and that...that is the surest way to bring on ich as it stresses the fish.

Some basics. The common Ram, in any of its varieties like this Gold, needs warmth; minimum 80F/27C. No cooler, ever. The molly will be Ok with this. But the cories will not; which species are the cories?

Also, give us more data on the tank. Size, time set up, fish, plants, substrate. And water parameters (hardness and pH).

Welcome to TFF.:hi:

EDIT. Other posts have been added since I typed this one...I still do not see ich, and do not dump in medications including salt without very good reason. These things do affect fish internally, and that means stress at the very least.

I have two heaters in my tank.. one only goes to 78 and the other is adjustable and Iā€™ve gradually increased it to 86.. the temp varies from 82-86 right now. I havenā€™t used any meds and Iā€™m trying not to. Because of my snail and corys I feel like Iā€™m limited so Iā€™ve used only a tiny bit of salt so far

I just did a 30% water change Sunday, do you think I should do another small water change today??

I cannot see any signs of ich in any of your photos in that link. And I certainly do not agree with the advice from some to start dumpoing in this and that...that is the surest way to bring on ich as it stresses the fish.

Some basics. The common Ram, in any of its varieties like this Gold, needs warmth; minimum 80F/27C. No cooler, ever. The molly will be Ok with this. But the cories will not; which species are the cories?

Also, give us more data on the tank. Size, time set up, fish, plants, substrate. And water parameters (hardness and pH).

Welcome to TFF.:hi:

Hi thanks for reaching out!
I have a 20 gallon aqueon tank. Itā€™s been set up since February. Current temp is between 82-86. pH is around 6.5, ammonia 0, nitrate and nitrates close to zero, I have gravel substrate(some of which Iā€™ve recently taken out just due to preference over time with siphoning and what not).

As for my fish. I have a balloon molly, 2 German gold ram as you know, two peppered corys (Paleatus), and 1 mystery snail

Hi thanks for reaching out!
I have a 20 gallon aqueon tank. Itā€™s been set up since February. Current temp is between 82-86. pH is around 6.5, ammonia 0, nitrate and nitrates close to zero, I have gravel substrate(some of which Iā€™ve recently taken out just due to preference over time with siphoning and what not).

As for my fish. I have a balloon molly, 2 German gold ram as you know, two peppered corys (Paleatus), and 1 mystery snail

And as for you not seeing any ich Iā€™ll try to take better pictures when Iā€™m home later but it looks like my female ram has about 3-4 spots on her, and my male a few more.. Iā€™d say about 5 or so- as of this morning when I left for work. Theyā€™re white specks, very small. And ALL on the fins which is so bizarre to me. I havenā€™t seen either of them scratching against anything which is a good sign.. Iā€™ve heard after raising temp it can get worse before it gets better.. hope Iā€™m going about all of this right

And as for you not seeing any ich Iā€™ll try to take better pictures when Iā€™m home later but it looks like my female ram has about 3-4 spots on her, and my male a few more.. Iā€™d say about 5 or so- as of this morning when I left for work. Theyā€™re white specks, very small. And ALL on the fins which is so bizarre to me. I havenā€™t seen either of them scratching against anything which is a good sign.. Iā€™ve heard after raising temp it can get worse before it gets better.. hope Iā€™m going about all of this right

Ich, if it is really present, first attacks fish in the gills which is why we see flashing but no spots. Many fish if not under stress can shake this off. If it persists, it usually appears first on the fins, at least that has been my experience. At that point I still monitor carefully, but don't start any treatments unless it seems to be worsening. You should be seeing flashing with the spots; if not, it only makes me think it is not ich. I will see if new photos show anything.

Your molly needs moderately hard water with a basic pH (basic being above 7.0). The rams are probably best now with soft (I assume, given the pH, your water GH is on the soft side, can you tell us?) and the cories. The cories will not like this warmth for very long.

Ich, if it is really present, first attacks fish in the gills which is why we see flashing but no spots. Many fish if not under stress can shake this off. If it persists, it usually appears first on the fins, at least that has been my experience. At that point I still monitor carefully, but don't start any treatments unless it seems to be worsening. You should be seeing flashing with the spots; if not, it only makes me think it is not ich. I will see if new photos show anything.

Your molly needs moderately hard water with a basic pH (basic being above 7.0). The rams are probably best now with soft (I assume, given the pH, your water GH is on the soft side, can you tell us?) and the cories. The cories will not like this warmth for very long.

Iā€™ll test my water when I get home and give you exact numbers later- should I do a small water change? If so should I test the water after then??
And again, I havenā€™t noticed any flashing or rubbing so I donā€™t get it. Also (if it helps) I have no real plants in my tank

Iā€™ll test my water when I get home and give you exact numbers later- should I do a small water change? If so should I test the water after then??
And again, I havenā€™t noticed any flashing or rubbing so I donā€™t get it. Also (if it helps) I have no real plants in my tank

Always do water tests prior to a water change so you know the state of thee water on its own. Some tests might need to be done after the change too, if you are monitoring changes.

If ich is present, you do not want to be further stressing the fish. While water changes are extremely beneficial in most every case, it is still another slight stress if unnecessary.

Always do water tests prior to a water change so you know the state of thee water on its own. Some tests might need to be done after the change too, if you are monitoring changes.

If ich is present, you do not want to be further stressing the fish. While water changes are extremely beneficial in most every case, it is still another slight stress if unnecessary.

Makes sense.. okay Iā€™ll test my water first and see where it stands. You think just waiting it out is probably best for right now? With temp elevated. Does turning off the tank lights help too? Iā€™ve read mixed info

Makes sense.. okay Iā€™ll test my water first and see where it stands. You think just waiting it out is probably best for right now? With temp elevated. Does turning off the tank lights help too? Iā€™ve read mixed info

Keeping stress minimal is the key. I am still not certain there is ich present, so monitoring carefully is the best idea.

As you have no live plants, the light is unnecessary but do not keep switching it on and off, that is severely stressful on fish because of how their eyes and cells have to keep adapting to significant changes in light/dark. Floating plants would help here, in many ways.

Keeping stress minimal is the key. I am still not certain there is ich present, so monitoring carefully is the best idea.

As you have no live plants, the light is unnecessary but do not keep switching it on and off, that is severely stressful on fish because of how their eyes and cells have to keep adapting to significant changes in light/dark. Floating plants would help here, in many ways.

Hm okay. Skeptical about adding anything new at this time though. I get way too attached to these fish lol thanks for all your help Iā€™ll have an update in a few hours

Okay so, I tested my water and gave my fish a good look over.

My male ram has about 5 white specks total, 4 of the 5 on his fins.. is eating, fairly social, not flashing or scratching at all- Female has 3 total, 2 of the 3 on her fins.. sheā€™s a little less social but is eating and not flashing or scratching either. Both are slightly lethargic- put it this way- if I didnā€™t see any white spots Iā€™d think they were just being a little shy

So far my corys, balloon molly, and snail all seem okay with the elevated temp

Here are my water parameters

Temp 86
pH between 6.5-7
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
General hardness 30
Carbonate hardness 40

Okay so, I tested my water and gave my fish a good look over.

My male ram has about 5 white specks total, 4 of the 5 on his fins.. is eating, fairly social, not flashing or scratching at all- Female has 3 total, 2 of the 3 on her fins.. sheā€™s a little less social but is eating and not flashing or scratching either. Both are slightly lethargic- put it this way- if I didnā€™t see any white spots Iā€™d think they were just being a little shy

So far my corys, balloon molly, and snail all seem okay with the elevated temp

Here are my water parameters

Temp 86
pH between 6.5-7
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
General hardness 30
Carbonate hardness 40

I couldnā€™t get a pic or video of the female but I got a decent video of the male- donā€™t know how to post video on here so took a screen shot from it.. featuring my two corys lol you can see one of the specks on his fin and the one on the side of his body
IMG_7692.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back