Help! Gold rams, ich??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Iā€™ve been doing a half dose in the morning and a half dose at night (roughly 12 hours apart) and itā€™s been working.. yesterday I did the normal morning half dose.. did a water change in the evening and remedicated with another half dose- which Iā€™d be putting in at that time anyways. It doesnā€™t make sense to me.. the other ram seems to be holding up but considering the first one died completely out of the blue I canā€™t be sure. One of my corys is now on its way out and was laying on one of my plants this morning :( he had a red mark on his stomach im assuming from rubbing or being stuck or what not.. Iā€™ve been trying to stay on top of everything and Iā€™ve been so dedicated to correcting my tank this is so frustrating and upsetting. Iā€™m afraid to do another water change right now so I guess Iā€™ll monitor the rest of my fish for the time being

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Corydoras is going red on the belly then it is probably chemicals. The directions on the Hikari website suggests doing at least a 1/3 water change between treatments. See following link.
http://www.hikariusa.com/wp/solutions/healthaid/ich-x/

Ich X has formaldehyde in and high doses of that will pickle fish or any organic matter. It's the same stuff they use to preserve body parts in labs. If you overdose with formaldehyde you will kill fish.

Methanol is useless in water so I have no idea why it's in the medication other than to make the formaldehyde stronger. Methanol is a type of alcohol and absorbs moisture very easily. It is also diluted by water, so having an aquarium medication with alcohol in is pointless. That's not your fault, it's just a silly thing from the manufacturer.

The last ingredient is Malachite Green and this stuff is nasty too. If it builds up to high enough levels it will kill fish. But I think it is most likely the formaldehyde is doing the damage because that has the highest concentration in the medication.

---------------------------
I would do a big (80-90%) water change to dilute the chemicals in the water, then add more medication after the water change.

If the Corydoras is going red on the belly then it is probably chemicals. The directions on the Hikari website suggests doing at least a 1/3 water change between treatments. See following link.
http://www.hikariusa.com/wp/solutions/healthaid/ich-x/

Ich X has formaldehyde in and high doses of that will pickle fish or any organic matter. It's the same stuff they use to preserve body parts in labs. If you overdose with formaldehyde you will kill fish.

Methanol is useless in water so I have no idea why it's in the medication other than to make the formaldehyde stronger. Methanol is a type of alcohol and absorbs moisture very easily. It is also diluted by water, so having an aquarium medication with alcohol in is pointless. That's not your fault, it's just a silly thing from the manufacturer.

The last ingredient is Malachite Green and this stuff is nasty too. If it builds up to high enough levels it will kill fish. But I think it is most likely the formaldehyde is doing the damage because that has the highest concentration in the medication.

---------------------------
I would do a big (80-90%) water change to dilute the chemicals in the water, then add more medication after the water change.

:(Okay, Iā€™ll keep you posted.

UPDATE* So I did lost that cory as I thought I would the other day :( BUT, since then all has been awesome. My remaining cory, gold German ram, molly and snail are all doing very well :) Happy to say everything seems to be okay now. Now to find another gold German ram

Currently my water parameters are:

Ammonia 0
pH 7.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
GH 60
KH 120
Temp 82F

2a5fd7190e739448647185639d29050d.jpg
45761e1a9654b9146c77346dfce221ea.heic

Most reactions