Help For A Newb

Fans installed in the canopy will be needed longterm to keep the temp cool, especially when you upgrade the lighting. That hood looks pretty empty and quite moddable. How handy are you with tools? You could consider purchasing a T5 or PC retrofit kit and installing that in your hood if you're mechanically inclined enough. Or you could consider just replacing the hood if its a somewhat standard length (20", 24", or 30")

Edit: You get the water out by putting a piece of flexible tubing in the tank and siphoning it out into a bucket below the tank :good:

Thanks Ski,
I got a little hose at my lfs and siphoned it all out. With the lighting situation, I still don't know what to do, but I plan on fixing up the canopy so I can have better lighting.

Are fans loud at all? And also I have a Whisper 10 power filter, and I'm planning on upgrading, is the aquaclear pretty quiet?

If theres enough room to weasel some 80mm fans in there you shouldnt have too much noise problem. Some 60mm varieties get kind of noisy, but 80s USUALLY produce a low thrum type sound.

When using CURED live rock, will the tank still cycle? I was reading some threads and it said that if you have enough cured live rock, the tank won't cycle...? Does this mean that you can add livestock immediately?

Can someone please clarify this up for me. :sad:

Well, if you use "cured" LR and bring it home in saltwater it'll be fine and no cycle will occur. But if you bring the rock home as its usually sold from the LFS (dry) then a mini cycle will still occur. Prolly only a couple days though.

I see I see, thank you. Also what do you guys think about these?

I was thinking of getting one of these and suctioning it onto my canopy.

What is the difference between LUNAR LIGHTS, MOONLIGHTS and LED LIGHTS? :S

Precured is the same thing as cured correct? :/

What is the difference between LUNAR LIGHTS, MOONLIGHTS and LED LIGHTS? :S

Usually all the same :)

Precured is the same thing as cured correct? :/

Yes, same thing

Most reactions

Back