*help* Do Angel Fish Eat Neon Tetras?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kerenza

Reaction score
:unsure: I'm a bit worried, today I purchased an Angel fish and also a Siamese Fighter.
I heard that Angel fish can eat Neon tetra's.
Is that true? :S
The angel fish was swimming around fine when i released it.

Yes, neons are a natural food source for angels.

Are the angel and betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) in the same tank?

Yes Angel fish have been known to eat neon tetras, I imagine the one you have just bought is still quite small? So it may be a while before he decides to have a nibble :)

Also, is the SF male? If so (and Im just assuming you have put them in the same tank) they shouldnt be housed with other fish in general, unless you happen to have a peaceful male. They should be on their own really to be happiest.

:unsure: I'm a bit worried, today I purchased an Angel fish and also a Siamese Fighter.

Yes, both are in the same tank. :S

Yes Angel fish have been known to eat neon tetras, I imagine the one you have just bought is still quite small? So it may be a while before he decides to have a nibble :)

Also, is the SF male? If so (and Im just assuming you have put them in the same tank) they shouldnt be housed with other fish in general, unless you happen to have a peaceful male. They should be on their own really to be happiest.

The fish man never told us if they were either Male or Female. Can you tell apart? I've put both the Angel fish and the SF together in the tank.

Bettas aren't really community fish. In some situations they can be kept with tankmates, but only if the tank is pretty much 'built around the betta'. Bettas and Angels in particular shouldn't be kept together, and neither should neons and bettas, or neons and angels. Depending on the temperment of the betta, you could do one of the following:

1. Take the angel back to the LFS.
2. Move the betta to another tank (at least one gallon, head over to the betta section for some examples on small betta-only tanks)
3. Leave it alone and hope all your fish will just work it out amongst themselves without causing any serious problems.

Out of curiosity, how big is your tank?

Oh, and yes, you can tell if your betta is male or female. Could you post a picture?

Yes, both are in the same tank. :S

The fish man never told us if they were either Male or Female. Can you tell apart? I've put both the Angel fish and the SF together in the tank.

Thanks for the advice :)
My tank is a 35L
I got the Siamese fish and the Angel fish on the same day at the same time, I told the man that I was going to put them in the same tank,
but he said it was O.K.
Im scared now that they might eat eachother or the other fish :S

Unless you are planning to upgrade your tank, then it will not be large enough for an Angel fish once fully grown.

I would take back the angel.

What other inhabitants are in the tank apart from the betta and neons?

How long has the tank been cycled?

A male betta (depending on the type) usually sold commonly in most LFS will be the ones with the long flowing fins. The females dont. Im just generalizing but I imagine what you have purchased is a male betta splenden.

Bettas aren't really community fish. In some situations they can be kept with tankmates, but only if the tank is pretty much 'built around the betta'. Bettas and Angels in particular shouldn't be kept together, and neither should neons and bettas, or neons and angels. Depending on the temperment of the betta, you could do one of the following:

1. Take the angel back to the LFS.
2. Move the betta to another tank (at least one gallon, head over to the betta section for some examples on small betta-only tanks)
3. Leave it alone and hope all your fish will just work it out amongst themselves without causing any serious problems.

Out of curiosity, how big is your tank?

Oh, and yes, you can tell if your betta is male or female. Could you post a picture?

Betta(bluemale)WFA_Ap4Be.jpg

:)

A lot of the people in the fish store either don't really know what they're talking about, or are just trying to make a sale. It's best to research fish before you get them. Checking here is good, too, as people with experience with the fish you're thinking about can tell you everything you need to know.

35 Liters isn't anywhere big enough to house a full grown angel. It would probably be best to take the angel back, and then your tank will be fully stocked.

Assuming you have a 'common' type of betta (the Betta Splendends, which you have, come in many different tail types. Veiltail is the most commonly seen in fish stores), this would be how to tell the male from female:

Male:
petstoreveiltail.jpg

Female:
betta06G.jpg

(Oh, and I got those images off google. They're not mine or anything, so.)

OK pretty fish, I believe (and im no expert on bettas) that he is a Crowntail. Definately Male.

Unless you are planning to upgrade your tank, then it will not be large enough for an Angel fish once fully grown.

I would take back the angel.

What other inhabitants are in the tank apart from the betta and neons?

How long has the tank been cycled?

A male betta (depending on the type) usually sold commonly in most LFS will be the ones with the long flowing fins. The females dont. Im just generalizing but I imagine what you have purchased is a male betta splenden.

I've been having the tank for 5 weeks
Ive got:
6 platies
6 neons
1 betta
1 angel fish

you've got a male crowntail there, I think

My betta knowledge is not the best!

TBH The 35L tank you have would be perfect with just him in there.

Thanks very much :)

What I don't understand is that The Betta's are in a seperate tank to all the other Betta's and they are in a tank with small fish.

OK your platties will breed easily as you are discovering and are not best kept with a betta.

To be honest and Im not being mean, you should return the platties (dont worry about the fry the angel will make light work of those), the angel and the neons.

If you wish to keep the betta, then really the only other fish you could keep with him are corydoras (catfish) and some people (including me) keep them with harlequin rasboras successfullly.

Or return the betta and the angel.

Most reactions

trending

Back