*help* Do Angel Fish Eat Neon Tetras?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That's how a lot of fish stores do it - put one betta in each tank, not even taking notice to what they're being thrown in with. A lot of the time you'll see bettas in these situations with ripped, torn, and bitten fins.

Thanks very much :)

What I don't understand is that The Betta's are in a seperate tank to all the other Betta's and they are in a tank with small fish.

LFS always keep bettas in the wrong tanks, with the wrong tank mates. Hence many are in a terrible state when they are sold, missing tail fins, stressed etc.

Female bettas can be kept in groups and in community tanks. But males will fight with each other and should NEVER be kept together, nor should males be kept with females (unless you are planning to breed them and even then the female would only be placed in the males tank for a short period of time).

Thanks for all of the advice :)

I was just looking at my tank, and the angel fish and the betta are just sitting there.
Would this mean they will still eat the other fish?

A lot of people who end up with the wrong mix of fish thanks to the LFS end up thinking the same thing: "The fish seem fine right now, how could someone say they'll start fighting?" And most of those people have ended up with stable tanks for a few months, then one day they'll wake up and half their fish are either dead or missing.

It's always possible that something could happen with a mix like that.

At the moment they are both getting used to their new surroundings, its stressful for a fish to be moved. From most peoples experience you cannot keep bettas/angels together. Nor angels/neons together. You may, if your lucky, get away with the neons and betta combination. The problem with other fish with bettas is, they tend to nip the bettas fins and bettas are solitary fish (males anyway) they neither want nor need company, although some keep them in community tanks, they are usually much larger tanks for the betta and other fish to establish their own territory, thus avoiding the nipping and deaths.

Angels will eat pretty much any small fish they can get in their mouths, whilst young obviously they cannot fit many fish in there, but once they grow, neons are the perfect size.

Just because at the moment they are not bothering each other, does not mean it will continue that way. You cannot watch the tank 24/7 and sooner rather than later you will have problems.

A lot of people who end up with the wrong mix of fish thanks to the LFS end up thinking the same thing: "The fish seem fine right now, how could someone say they'll start fighting?" And most of those people have ended up with stable tanks for a few months, then one day they'll wake up and half their fish are either dead or missing.

Seconded. I hope it doesn't seem like we're being harsh, but you're one of a long line of people who come on here having been given bad advice. Its not your fault, but you are looking at some real problems with your tank - either in the next day, week or month (unless you're very lucky) you'll come home and find half your tank dead.

The best thing you can do now is look to rehome some of the fish - the betta is beautiful, I'd recommend picking up a small tank (3G or more) which you can still get cheap, a heater and filter and rehome him there. And take the angel fish back to the shop.

Have you read up on cycling? If you do opt to buy a new tank you'll need to carry out a fish in cycle, which means 50% or so water changes everyday-and buy a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as soon as you can afford one. Especially if you didn't cycle your 35 litre tank.

Like I say, I hope we don't seem like we're being aggressive towards you - most of us have made similar mistakes to you, and will do whatever we can to help you out and prevent any problems in your tank.

If i were to take back a fish,
which ones should i take back?

The angel
Or the Betta?

Seconded. I hope it doesn't seem like we're being harsh, but you're one of a long line of people who come on here having been given bad advice. Its not your fault, but you are looking at some real problems with your tank - either in the next day, week or month (unless you're very lucky) you'll come home and find half your tank dead.

The best thing you can do now is look to rehome some of the fish - the betta is beautiful, I'd recommend picking up a small tank (3G or more) which you can still get cheap, a heater and filter and rehome him there. And take the angel fish back to the shop.

Have you read up on cycling? If you do opt to buy a new tank you'll need to carry out a fish in cycle, which means 50% or so water changes everyday-and buy a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as soon as you can afford one. Especially if you didn't cycle your 35 litre tank.

Like I say, I hope we don't seem like we're being aggressive towards you - most of us have made similar mistakes to you, and will do whatever we can to help you out and prevent any problems in your tank.

But im scared
:(

The angel deffinately has to go. He/She is incompatible with most of your other tank mates, and the tank isn't big enough for it, sorry :sad:

The Betta can be made to work, but the tank is heavily stocked. This will irritate him and thus he will likely become agressive with time. I would either get him a new tank or take him back also :sad:

Otherwise, assuming your water stats are OK ATM, I.E. ammonia and nitrite zero and nitrate no higher than 40ppm above your tap water reading, the tank looks fine to me :good:

HTH
Rabbut

Please, please take the Angel back. What you have in there is like a timebomb waiting to go off. Something WILL happen if you don't act quickly, and it won't be pleasant when you see the aftermath. I'd also give that LFS employee a hefty kick up the ####. I know a lot of them don't get great wages, but in the age of the internet ANYONE can at least pick up a basic knowledge and not mislead customers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back