hello... i'm new!!!

shinydemon

Reaction score
-_-
hey.. i'm pretty new to the word of tropical fish... i've been given a set up by my mate, but unfortunately the 10 fish that came with it didn't survive past the next day :(
so i cleaned out the tank, and set it up, and left it running for over a week, and have just bought 3 fish..
a plecostomas, and albino plecostomas, and a feather fin synodontis.
the pleco didn't last til the end of the first day, i've just come back after being away overnight, and the albino plec has died :sad:
the synodontis is still ok though, but i'm taking the other 2 back to the shop tomorrow.. gonna get the water tested as well.. just in case!
so it's not going so well! :-(

:hi: to the forums.

Have you read up on cycling your tank? There is a pinned thread in the begginers questions forum that is a must for new fish keepers. A week really is not a long time and its not just a case of leaving the tank running. Anyway, read the pinned post and sorry to hear of your loss, those were some nice fish.

HTH

Jon

p.s. Dont forget if you ask q's in the begginers section, include your tank size/capacity equipment used and preferably water perameters ammonia/nitrAte/nitrIte.

Welcome to the fish forum. Sorry to hear of your problems, I didn't cycle my first tank either, but all my fish survived. I still have one. Do go to the beginners forum for more suggestions, there are plenty of knowledgeable people to help you.

Hi shinydemon and :hi: to the forum! This is a great place for advice and information! :D

I'm sorry to hear about your fish loss. :sad:

Welcome to the forums shinydemon. As some of the others said, your tank needs to cycle first(build up beneficial bacteria) so the water is safe for your fish. Your previous fish most likely died of ammonia poisioning, a end product that occurs in the Nitrogen cycle. Read HERE to learn more about cycling. Definitely dont buy anymore fish until you do this.

:huh:
thanks everyone, didn't know about cycling my tank first.. LFS didn't say anything about it.. they just told me to clean the tank out thoroughly, fill it, and to get it running for a week....

but have held out buying new fish, still have synodontis, he's doing pretty well.. had the water tested, and all was ok, apart from the ph, which was too high...

gonna wait a while to carry on, as i lost my job today, so i'm not doing too well at the moment.. so can't afford the money i was going to spend on my tank.. think i'll ask my b/f for a water testing kit as an early xmas present!

:hi: to the forums, im glad you joined us! I'm sorry to hear about the fish and your job, everything will work out fine in the end you will see!!!

thanks...

hopefully will start a new job soon, and will be able to afford new fish!

spoke to another fish store, as have abandoned Pets At Home..
he said if everything else was ok on the test, then my tank is fine, as we have a very high pH in Lincoln, and hard water, so there is nothing we can do about it!

he said if i buy fish from around here, they will have been acclimatised to the high pH....

anyway, so i've put my goldfish in the tank, to give the synodontis some company, and he seems much happier... much more active..

:cool:
:fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back