Hello everyone!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sox62

Reaction score
I'm new here,but not new to aquariums,although it's been about 15 years.

Recently my mother purchased a 26 gallon bowtank and stand at a yard sale for my son.I cycled it the old fashioned way(not knowing about fish less cycling).Ten weeks later and countless water changes it's now cycled.

After setting it up,I got the itch again,so I set up my old 55 gallon.Threw away the old lights and replaced them with LED lights,purchased a canister filter and Aqueon heater,

I read about fish less cycling,so i decided to give it a go.Dosed it to 4 PPM with ammonia,added Dr. Tim's bacteria waited with the tank temperature set at 84F.Seven days later the ammonia was down to 1 PPM,and nitrites were at 2 PPM.One day later (yesterday) the ammonia was down to .25 PPM,and the nitrites were at .5PPM(I use the API test kit),so I redosed it yesterday afternoon with ammonia(only to 3 PPM this time).Sixteen hours later the ammonia is already down to .25 PPM and the nitrates spiked to 4PPM,so the wait begins again,but the tank appears to be cycling right on schedule.It shouldn't be too much longer before I can introduce some juvenile Keyhole Cichlids to it.

I'm happy I found this forum!

The spike near the end was a 4 PPM nitrite spike,not nitrates.The forum wouldn't let me edit the correction.

Agreed. Things look to be moving along nicely.

30 hours later,Ammonia zero,Nitrites zero,Nitrates approximately 30 PPM.Redosing to 3 PPM,if it's clean in 24 hours,water changes until nitrates are down to about 5 PPM,then adding fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back