Have I Got A Problem

kevinjames

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i recently rehomed two parrot fish which were too big for their previous tank. after them settling in straight away i absolutely adore them as does the missus aswell lol. they were getting along well and were quite inseperable but as theyve settled in more they have started nesting i believe and their breeding tubes have become more prominant. they now fight each other as in lip locking and chasing each other. they also chase other fish away from their claimed territory. i know this is normal cichlid behaviour but im worried as one of them is developing dark briusing from there lip locking exchanges and also from a polka dot loach who ive witnessed clinging on her sides when the lights go off. any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

i recently rehomed two parrot fish which were too big for their previous tank. after them settling in straight away i absolutely adore them as does the missus aswell lol. they were getting along well and were quite inseperable but as theyve settled in more they have started nesting i believe and their breeding tubes have become more prominant. they now fight each other as in lip locking and chasing each other. they also chase other fish away from their claimed territory. i know this is normal cichlid behaviour but im worried as one of them is developing dark briusing from there lip locking exchanges and also from a polka dot loach who ive witnessed clinging on her sides when the lights go off. any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Perfectly common, nothing to worry about at all.
That's normal cichlid behaviour, only start to worry if serious injuries occur, it could just be from spawning and moving house in one go, quite stressful and now need to set up another pecking order.

In terms of the loach, he could be going for the slime coating, in which case he needs to be fed more, perhaps try some sinking pellets or wafers to make sure he gets fed.

Most reactions

Back