Hard And Soft Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cheeky_chappie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I live on the east coast of Scotland, the tap water provided in and around my area is known to be 'soft' as oppose to other areas of the UK where the tap water can be 'hard' i.e. has absorbed more magnesium and calcium.

I've had my tank for around 9 months now and, compared to others on here, I don't seem to have any issues with water problems. I'm by no means an expert and follow a straightforward routine:

1. change filters in my internal filter system as per manufacturers instructions.
2. 50% water change every other weekend, clean internal sides of glass, gravel vac, add King British Safe Guard and Safe Water.
3. Add Safe Water every weekend inbetween water changes.

That's about it, the routine doesn't vary and so far my water ranges have been fine for the 9 months, with my fish appearing healthy and non-stressed. Is this in part down to the 'softness' of the water, the 50% water changes, or a combination?

What I'm also wondering is how much of an impact tap water from area to area around the world can affect the ongoing conditions in the tank.

The fish you have certainly all benefit from softer water but the key element is your maintainance schedule. One of the most important things in fish keeping is sticking to a routine maintainance shedule which works for both you and the fish, get that right and the rest is easy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back