Happy Gouramis?

jcabs100

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've had my blue and gold gouramis for about a year now and I'd like to know how you can tell if your gouramis are happy

if they are healthy in colour, are swimming around, eating well, fins are not frayed and are not hiding all the time. also if they are not harassing each other non-stop then they should be fine. sometimes they play by chasing each other, but if its consistent then its not good... my gold gourami does that to my goldfish... lol

if they are healthy in colour, are swimming around, eating well, fins are not frayed and are not hiding all the time. also if they are not harassing each other non-stop then they should be fine. sometimes they play by chasing each other, but if its consistent then its not good... my gold gourami does that to my goldfish... lol

Yeah my male is surrounded by females I know he's happy there are 6 in total 1 male 5 female and I do see the occasional chasing and then they go back to regular swimming

well then that's good, always nice to have happy fish not the depressing ones ... not fun to watch lol

have you ever tried to breed your gouramies?

well then that's good, always nice to have happy fish not the depressing ones ... not fun to watch lol

have you ever tried to breed your gouramies?

I'm waiting on my male to get needy he's still a juvie wonder of there's anything to spark up his need ?

well if he is still to small then wait until he gets bigger, but you can try this if you want

To start, you will need to prepare a ten or twenty gallon tank as the breeding tank. Sprinkle a light layer of gravel on the bottom of the tank, just enough to eliminate the reflection from bouncing up off the bottom. Place a small, foam filter in the corner of the tank, do not use anything stronger then this. Provide a clump of Java moss and some duck weed for vegetation and an up turned clay pot for the female to hide in. Set the temperature between 25 degrees to 28 degrees Celsius and adjust the PH in the range of 7.6 to 6.6.
After your tank is prepared, place the female gourami in the breeding tank by herself for two weeks prior to introducing the male. If you introduce the female into the male's tank he will likely kill her in his attempt to defend his territory. Feed both the male and female gouramis brine shrimp and blood worms to ready them for breeding.
Once the female is fat and gravid, you will then be ready to introduce the male into her environment. Over the next few days, the male will attempt to build the bubblenest and entice the female to breed. Watch for the male and female to "dance" together. He will cup her body and wiggle beside her in an effort to have her release her eggs to be met by his milt. Once the fertilization has taken place, the fish break apart and the male will collect the eggs to the nest. They will repeat this sequence over the next few hours.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back