Hamburg Matten Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi guys. so with my tank thats not quite ready yet i thought i'd try and build a hamburg matten filter for it. i will post my progress, pros, cons etc as it goes and hopefully all with pics :)

so after all the math is done it still needs to fit around my pump and hopefully my heater as well clean up the aesthetics a bit.
the one that i am using is the ehiem 650 powerhead.
it has a maximum output of 650l/h so bit excessive 

Cross section = volume x water turnover x1000 / (flow ratex60)
A= 60*2.5*1000/7.5*60= 333.33 or 340cm2

Since the height of the tank is a fixed we simply divide this result by 27 (tank height in cm) to calculate the width of the piece of sponge we need, i.e., 340 cm² / 27 cm = 12.59 cm, ≈ 12.6 cm. Therefore we cut out a piece of sponge measuring 27 x 12.6 cm.
The circumference of a circle = π (pihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi) x diameter or π x 2 x radius. In this case we can easily calculate the circumference by multiplying the width of our filter material by four (4 x 12.6 = 50.4 cm) but now require the radius as this corresponds to how far away from the tank corner we should position our PVC angles. This is calculated as follows:
r = c / (2 x π) = 50.4 / (2 x π) =8.025, ≈ 8.1 cm.
In the tank we now measure 8.1 cm from each side of the corner where the filter is supposed to go and mark where to place the PVC conduit at both the top and bottom. 

however as good as all this is both mu pump and heater wont fit so knowing that that is the minimum size for this tank i reckon i'll be alright making it bigger. i'll update soon

Following this with real interest!
Blimey that formula is really hard to follow, but I've just about done it for my tanks, purely as a maths exercise and to compare that with the preformed ones on the website whose link you gave on my thread by the same name as yours.
I've made a spreadsheet on excel to help as I was getting a bit flummoxed with what was what, but I got there in the end!
What is the foam ppi and thickness are you using there?
Would you mind giving the rough costs so I can compare it with the preformed ones?

Sorry I probably didn't write the formula as easily as I could of. Glad you got the hang of it.
The tank cost me a tenner
The filter foams were 2.50 each so a fiver
The conduit was 4.89 for 2 meters so got some for next time
The tape and marker I had lying around and the silicon was 6 pound I think but you don't have to get that same stuff

the foam thickness is 25mm im not sure on ppi as it didnt say but it looks around 40

That foam doesn't doesn't look thick enough imo, it needs to be around 1 1/2" thick & rigid enough to fit snugly across the tank with no gaps so the water has no choice but to be drawn through it

see how it goes if it needs thicker it needs thicker. i test fitted it last night and it sat there a treat so hopefully all will be well

I would strongly recommend that you consider paying up and use the Poret. It is worth it for its adaptability to this use and then for its durability and manufacturing quality.

On the USA site the endorsements are from some pretty well respected fish people, some of whom I know. For you Brits- Ian Fuller and Jools of Planetcatfish.

I have been using their cubefilters for some time and I can attest to their quality and effectiveness.

hi so i marked it out with the marker

i then siliconed the conduit in place checked it was level etc

havent cut the foam yet, thats the plan for tomorrow.

TTA if this all goes wrong then i will buy one but i thought id give making one a go as i had some of the stuff lying about anyways

This is a neat little project, am interested in how this turns out :)

Good luck and do keep the pics coming ;)

am off to glasto tomorrow morning then turkey for a week so bit of a lack of progress for the time being

hi so after my little hiatus im back, i have since finished it off.
i had to cut the filter foam to size with a pair of scissors which was easier than i thought it would be.
i also bought a couple ehiem 90degree bends and some pipe so that the the outlet can be at the top.
i have test run it and it all works, will post pics when i have internet at home :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back