Guppy Dropping Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If you've only had your tank running for a month or so, it's quite possible it's not cycled quite yet. You should have some nitrates by now. I'd worry a bit about the water quality.

And the *yolk* from a hard-boiled egg smashed up is good for the fry, but only in tiny amounts as it tends to foul the water. Baby brine shrimp is best. I've fed mine flake food that I've ground into a powder and they thrived.

[…]they can usually readily take finly crushed flake, which I think has better nutrition to suit the fishes diet! :good:
Normal flakes have a better nutritional value for adult fish than growing fry, even for livebearers. The fry benefit from the egg yolk :) but a varied diet is also important, of course.

No i had mature media from another tank placed into the filter. this tank the media was taken from was running for 5 years. I know there will be die off.. but not enough to cause trouble. I put the mom back in the big tank anyhow as i don't see her dropping anymore and she is thinner. fry are doing well now they have to learn how to eat at the surface like the other fish :)

No i had mature media from another tank placed into the filter. this tank the media was taken from was running for 5 years. I know there will be die off.. but not enough to cause trouble.
Many people estimate this to be around 10% per day without source of ammonia, in a running tank. I don't know when you moved the fish over into the tank, but if you moved the media a month ago and the fish a week ago, there would only have been about 10% of original bacteria left on the media (which could be enough, or not). But in a filter which has no water movement through it, the bacteria die-off is usually estimated to be in the 30-90% region per day.

I put the mom back in the big tank anyhow as i don't see her dropping anymore and she is thinner. fry are doing well now they have to learn how to eat at the surface like the other fish :)
Next time she gives birth, can you try moving the filter over from the usual tank no more than a day or two before you move her, and use all water from the usual tank for the birthing tank? That maybe might help.. Leaving lights off is also good, as you already know.

sure. so what is the secret for the fry to grow up faster?

so what is the secret for the fry to grow up faster?
Mine is to give them a moderately big tank (starting at 10 gallons and upwards), feed tiny amounts of different foods as often as possible (normally 6-10 times per day), keep moss in their tanks (in the hope that some small creatures might make a home in it), large water changes. It only works on the all or nothing basis.

ahh okay. i need to place a stocking over my filter then. right now they are in the breeder box for a bit, until they learn the food is at the top. Right now they dont get the idea so they picking off the bottom.

I found that fry tend to eat mid-water for quite a long time, it's not a matter of learning, it's more a matter of obeying survival instincts. They'd be fine not in a net even now, assuming there's nothing in the tank that can eat them.

I don't bother with breeder nets because I've got a lot of plants but when they're in a breeder net they ages to grow compared to ones in the tank.

Nothing new abt that matter, my endlers also dropped unfertile round 'eggs' and mommy simply eats them.

ahh okay. they are all doing very well.

ahh okay. i need to place a stocking over my filter then. right now they are in the breeder box for a bit, until they learn the food is at the top. Right now they dont get the idea so they picking off the bottom.
If you can, use a filter sponge to cover the inlet of your filter. Stockings do work but the holes are too small and restrict circulation. A fliter sponge will be a better choise if you have or can get 1.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back