Guppy breeding question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlphinaNovaStar

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to breed guppies? I got a boy and a girl guppy but was wondering does that mean she will get pregnant?

Just put a male and a couple females in a tank with a little cover

They are easy to breed. feed them well make sure there are some plants in the tank for the fry to hide in and soon you will see babies

Do I need to change the male female ratio? I can get some more girls soon if needed.

It kind of depends on what you mean by "breed". If you mean get them to have babies, that's pretty easy. But if you mean you want to actually breed them and create a stable strain etc. That is a different matter and takes a great deal of work. To breed for a strain you have to choose carefully which fish to keep and breed to pass along desirable traits to their offspring.

If you just want awesome little guppy babies I generally find having at least 7 strong adult females and one adult male does the trick. I've had as low as 5 females but found that with that few they tire quickly.

You will also need a place for the young to hide or a breeding area/net for them to be separated in. What you do in this regard will depend on your desires. I just wanted them to have babies and for some to survive. so I had an area in the tank that the little fish could go and the big ones could not. Those little ones smart enough to find it and stay in it lived and those that didn't got eaten.

Having fry of any kind in a tank is, for me, a great joy.

I am not sure I want to breed a specific strain or anything like that. I want happy fish. I could tell them not to multiply but I have a feeling it will not work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that case the effort is a matter of having a good harem of females for the male and a place for the little ones to be protected. Clean water and good quality food and the guppies will do the rest.

Well mrs guppy just had her fry. What do I do next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back