Guppies in one gallon possible

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

El chapo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've got a 1 gallon tank with several red cherry shrimp and was wondering if a couple guppies would do good in it and if not what are some possibilities

No, a 1-gallon is too small for guppies or, humanely, any other fish. That's too small even for a betta. But if you can upgrade to a 5-gallon tank, you could get a pair of guppies or a betta with your shrimp, and maybe a Mystery snail or some otocinclus. Good luck!

I agree with Jessie on the upgrade if you want to keep anything more in the tank, Would like to add that the Male guppies, or better yet, male Enders, would be a much safer choice for dwarf shrimp than a Betta, because Bettas have been known to make a buffet of dwarf shrimp, especially in small tanks.

Besides, once they cherry shrimp get a good population going you'll need to move them. As a general rule for shrimp stocking you can fit 50 in a 5-gallon tank but no more than ten in smaller tanks. And I have kept six different bettas with dwarf shrimp before, but it all depends on their personality.

Besides, once they cherry shrimp get a good population going you'll need to move them. As a general rule for shrimp stocking you can fit 50 in a 5-gallon tank but no more than ten in smaller tanks. And I have kept six different bettas with dwarf shrimp before, but it all depends on their personality.
Please see part three of my signature for my stance on the matter. ;)

Don't waste your time or money on any aquarium that holds less than 40 litres (10 gallons) because you can pick up 20 litre plastic buckets for a couple of dollars and 100 litre plastic storage containers for $10.00. If finances are an issue, get a plastic storage container and keep the fish and shrimp in that.

There's also not much difference in price between a 5 & 10 gallon tank so go for the biggest tank or storage container you can afford and have space for :)

Most reactions

Back