Gsp Breeding

#32###! This is awesome!!! arent you gonna be like one of the few people which have bred them in captivity? :hyper:

i hope the babies grow up nicely for you, i should be getting mine tommorrow, but if my bad luck of late continues i can see it being friday, or even next week :crazy:

good luck :good:

Thanks, just some dumb luck I guess. But now that I know it can be done, i'm going to continue to hope for more. I have documented everything that I did just prior to and after I found the fry guy, so at least I have some recorded documentation. They really are awesome fish and they're more like puppies than fish. Hope yours show up soon.

My next puffers will be GSPs :D That little baby is so groovy. Can't wait to see pics of him with his soots out :D

Hi Jennybugs, thanks for posting those pictures for me. :rolleyes:

Got it today!!!!!!!!!!

So excited, i picked the fattest and the best looking one, hes settling in, ate about 6-8 pond snails, but for some reason keeps on going up and down the glass, i have plenty of rocks. :blink: maybe he's just checkin it out,

what s.g. do you have yous at atm?

Got it today!!!!!!!!!!

So excited, i picked the fattest and the best looking one, hes settling in, ate about 6-8 pond snails, but for some reason keeps on going up and down the glass, i have plenty of rocks. :blink: maybe he's just checkin it out,

what s.g. do you have yous at atm?

Sounds like he's a little bored, nothing unusual, what size tank do you have him in?. Mine seem most cofortable in places that they can hide or investigate. I have plants (plastic ones as they chew on everything) bunched in one corner and sporadic along the back of the tank and rocks where they can get away some. I also have a 12 inch air stick that they like to play in (why? I don't know, but it's fun to watch). The front of the tank is open for them to swim freely. They hide when they sleep or are just resting, so covering is important. For this reason I have some rock formations that they can swim in and through as well as rest in. Ghost shrimp are fun for them and they keep the GSP occupied for a while. It will take a while for them to catch their first shrimp, but after that, they get quite tactical and it becomes easier. I also switch my tank around about every three months, just to give them something new (not much, but just a little rearranging).

Pacing the glass is not unusual for a puffer in it's new tank. My F8s did that for a little while and one of them took a little longer to stop. Sometimes she still does it now when she is startled, but mainly they do settle in nicely. It should calm down within a week or so and as long as you have a fair bit to keep it occupied in the tank it will be happy :D

Pacing the glass is not unusual for a puffer in it's new tank. My F8s did that for a little while and one of them took a little longer to stop. Sometimes she still does it now when she is startled, but mainly they do settle in nicely. It should calm down within a week or so and as long as you have a fair bit to keep it occupied in the tank it will be happy :D
the pacing has stopped, its funny watching him scour the rocks for anything he can find, hovering just by the side of them, he seems to be ocupied.

good luck with the breeding OP!

have i missed something here??
that baby fish in them pics is a live bearer, taking into consideration its mouth is at the top id hazard a guess at a guppy.
to me it is very obvious, so either you lot haven't really looked at it or your going to let this chap down slowly?

that baby fish in them pics is a live bearer, taking into consideration its mouth is at the top id hazard a guess at a guppy.
to me it is very obvious, so either you lot haven't really looked at it or your going to let this chap down slowly?
you may well be right, Dave, although, do you have an image of a baby gsp of yours to compare?

i dont meen to cause offence to anyone, but it takes nothing more than an amature to clearly see that is a live bearer fry. I dont need pictures to prove that.

I don't know what livebearer fry look like so can't comment on that - and I'm no amateur. I won't take offence to your general statements though Mr Oddball :lol:
I'll be disappointed if it is though :lol: I wonder if the OP has more photos. He did say the fry had spots on like tha parents though. I haven't heard from him since he sent me the photos in the first place.

I have never seen gs-puffer fry so I don't have anything to compare to from that end, but I have to agree that the fry in the picture looks just like live-bearer fry. I have sail-fin mollies in with my figure 8 puffers and they just had three fry that look exactly like the fry in the picture. If that's what GSP fry look like that's awesome, but I'm more inclined to think you've got a live-bearer baby on your hands.

Keep us posted as the little guy gets bigger. Either way, congratulations!

p.s.
For comparison here's a video of dwarf puffer fry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riY-3i4Ox2U

Not apples to apples, but they look rounder and more pufferish. Good luck!

I disappear for a couple of weeks and people say my baby GSP is a guppy. Then ol' boy, please explain to me that a tank that has only had three GSP's some crabs and ghost shrimp, produced a guppy? Lets just say for argument sake that you are the "expert" here. Please explain the fact of a guppy in my tank, I would love to hear about this. This "chap" doesn't need to be let down slowly, i'm right, you're wrong, it's a GSP. The reason for getting on this site was to seek advice, not here people say that my GSP is a guppy. I will send jennybugs some new pics in the next day or so, maybe she will be so kind (as she was before)to put them up on the site again, you know us amatures aren't real good at computers either.

If anyone is interested in an update, the baby GSP is still doing well and has developed a few more spots. He has moved off of the brine completely and is now on cyclops exclusively. I'm still a little nervouse about moving him into his own tank, but i think his breeder net is getting too small, as he doesn't appear to be growing as quickly as I thought he would. My number 3 GSP was half the size of #1 and 2 GSP when I introduced him/her to the tank. In a matter of weeks he grew to their size. I just worry about the change in environment. Any "good" advice on moving the little guy?

i dont meen to cause offence to anyone, but it takes nothing more than an amature to clearly see that is a live bearer fry. I dont need pictures to prove that.

I don't know what livebearer fry look like so can't comment on that - and I'm no amateur. I won't take offence to your general statements though Mr Oddball :lol:
I'll be disappointed if it is though :lol: I wonder if the OP has more photos. He did say the fry had spots on like tha parents though. I haven't heard from him since he sent me the photos in the first place.

I look forward to getting the email and will gladly post the pics up here for you again :D
It will be nice to see how the bubby has grown :cool:

With regard to moving him, I'd take your time on that one. Can you put a tank divider in the same tank for now to give him more space and keep the others at bay?

Hey AZGSP,

I hope I wasn't being harsh. I was just calling them as I saw 'em, and your GSP fry looked just like my molly fry. Who knew GSP fry look just like live-bearer fry (and vice-verse)!

I can't wait to see the pictures, if for nothing else to satisfy my curiosity. Best of luck to you :good:

Most reactions

Back