gsp beak need trimmimg?

samseal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi,

Although Pixie is eating well and has a lovely round tummy.He does look bit goofy and quite often has bits of food stuck to his mouth.Wondered if he needs a trim.It is difficult to see on this pic but please can you take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks Sam x

gst.jpg

I cant see anything sticking out, that's always a good thing :)
You say he's still eating well, and taken the fact I cant see teeth, I think you're alright

Try feeding him some snails over the next couple of weeks, this should wear down his teeth if they are slightly too long.

Do keep an eye on it though, if it starts getting worse and the teeth are overgrowing the lips, you'll have to trim them

Are you sure that Pixie's a GSP? He looks a little Mbu-ish to me. *shrugs*

This is one for PufferPunk, as I know she does this with her SAPs and will therefore know if Pixie is due for a dental appointment

This is what it looks like if left to get out of hand: (on a SAP)
pufferteeth.jpg

Puffer_freak said:
Thats not mbu...mbus aren't that kind of colour as far as I know, mbus are more cream.
Bah, I'm colourblind, I couldn't see that!
It still doesn't look very GSP-ish from that photo though.

pica_nuttalli said:
(psst! pufferpunk's a girl!)
Whoops! post edited. :*) :lol:

looks more like a figure 8 than a gsp to me, is that an eyespot i can see on the rhs of the pic on the lateral line towards the tail?

someone better tell one of my figure 8's then as i dont think he can have read the figure 8 manual, hes pretty much a dead match colour wise :D strangely though the second one i have is a much darker colour than the other, with darker markings much further down his flank.

the dentation in the pic does look a little long though, but he does seem to still have that healthy puffer "podge" underneath. I'd keep an eye and maybe consider doing something if either it starts to look worse, or shows signs of trouble eating or losing weight i think

I didnt even notice it said gsp! :p But I do agree, it's definatly not a gsp. I think those that are saying it's a figure 8 are correct here. I've seen them with those colours myself, so yeah :)

Hi,,

Now I am confused Pixie was one of the first puffers I had and I was told he was GSP.I will get my photographer to get another pic of him .

My description of him is he is black and green(very bright) he has a big black spot on his back and after looking spots near all his fins.

He has a lovely white fat tummy.Two horns above his eyes and I am not sure but along his back it looks little he has a couple of line of tiny little spikes.

He is about 1 year old and about 2".He lives in a full marine tank and is a very happy alert fish who always has a smile for me

He doesn,t look like the figure 8s I have seen in shops, but if you guys think that is what he is then I would have to agree

Sam
x

Full marine?
I doubt he's a figure eight then as they cannot cope with full sea water.

I look forward to seeing more photos, I'm intrigued!

He could possibly be a ceylon puffer... would be better if you had a shot of him sideways... but I'ld bet on him being a figure 8.

It would be best if you find out as f8's only need an sg of 1.005, where as ceylons and GSP's will go to full marine when over 4"!!

If you can't get any snails, get some whole cockles from your lfs and smash a small hole in the side so you puffer has to bite some of the shell away to get at all the goodies.

That second picture is scaring me!! Does anyone know what kind of puffer that is?

Most reactions

Back