Greetings and salutations!

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
(I thought that would sound a little different than just "HI!")

Unless you count the goldfish we had when I was a kid, I bought my first fish in August 2023, a white female Betta. In November, I bought what I thought was a baby MALE betta, but is now starting to look like a female!

I don't have the space or money to have a snazzy aquarium setup, so for now both live in unfiltered tanks, but the water is treated and clear, and both fish seem very happy.

One aspect of fish keeping that is starting to interest me TOO MUCH, since I have no space for many more, are actual live plants. I love working in my OUTDOOR flower garden, so when I picked up some aquarium plants, and read about how they propagate, etc, I found myself in danger of wanting a plant only tank!!

I am on another forum dedicated to betta fish, but thought I could get more answers to general freshwater tank questions here.

Hello Nells250! I love your picture LOL. I know the feeling about reading and then wanting to do more and more and more.

Enjoy those fish and your inevitable plant only tank (that you'll end up putting a few fish in) :D:D MTS is a thing, I'm finding...

Hello there, welcome to TFF... :hi:
An only plant tank can be very interesting as well...

When I first joined the local aquarium club, I met a gardener for the city who had a small room jammed floor to ceiling with tanks. His interest was aquatic plants, and he once said he needed some fish by saying he could use some "fertilizer things".

Predictably, since he wasn't in a mad rush to buy whatever fish the local stores had, the fish he had were really interesting. I saw my first Goodeids in his tanks (for algae eating, he said) and quite a few killies, which he called the flower blooms on the plants.

We got along, even if my idea of plants was very low tech, low light.

I want to hear more about that goldfish .
oh MAN I was a little kid! All I remember is the tank was in the dining room, it had an old fashion canister filter (which I was shocked to learn are out of favor and very hard to find now!) that made bubbles, and Mom would change the water. The goldfish were the types I always thought were UGLY, those little ones with the bulby eyes.

I do remember Ma putting a "fighting fish" in with the goldfish, probably because she thought it would be pretty in there. I don't remember anything about it other than it went missing, and was eventually found on the floor all shriveled up. So it either jumped out on his own, or as a result of a fight.

And that is all I remember of the goldfish tank!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back