Gravel change and filters

JakeD

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first time here. I have a 200litre tank. I changed my tank gravel yesterday to some new much smaller gravel and have planted 8 plants. ( I bought the tank a few months ago with everything in it and wanted to make it personal to me now). It currently runs an internal filter but I have bought a secondhand fluval 306 with media already it it. Just wondered when it would be safe and ok to changed the filter over as I kept the internal one running once the gravel change was done.

I’m new to all this just trying to learn as much as I can any advice and help would be great. Thank you

I would disinfect the secondhand filter and wash everything in it. Throw any carbon (black granules) or Zeolite (white granules) away and replace them with a sponge.

When the new (secondhand) filter is clean, put it on the aquarium and let them both run for a few months before removing the smaller internal one. Or put the filter media/ materials from the smaller filter into the newer filter and just run the new one.

I would disinfect the secondhand filter and wash everything in it. Throw any carbon (black granules) or Zeolite (white granules) away and replace them with a sponge.

When the new (secondhand) filter is clean, put it on the aquarium and let them both run for a few months before removing the smaller internal one. Or put the filter media/ materials from the smaller filter into the newer filter and just run the new on

When the new (secondhand) filter is clean, put it on the aquarium and let them both run for a few months before removing the smaller internal one. Or put the filter media/ materials from the smaller filter into the newer filter and just run the new one.
Thank you so much, just wondered what type of sponge should I add to the secondhand filter?
Sorry that might be a dumb question I just want to get it right. The second hand filter has three sections and sponges next to them. Should I remove all and replace them with what’s already in there but new or just run the the media from my original filter?

I assume there's more space inside the second hand filter than the internal? If so I'd see how much space the internal's media will take up then just buy new media to fill what's left. If the internal has sponges they can be cut up to make them fit.

According to the manual, the Fluval 306 is supposed to have sponge ('bio-foam') in the bottom basket, ceramic noodles ('bio-max') in the middle basket and the polishing pad in the bottom of the top basket with carbon on top of it. But you can put whatever you want in there if using all new media.
You don't need carbon, so put more foam or noodles in its place.
The polishing pad is just filter wool usually placed last in the direction of water flow to catch any fine bits in the water. These are just filter wool (floss) which clogs easily and needs to be replaced regularly. Buying ready cut Fluval pads works out expensive. A length of filter wool/floss can be bought from pond supply shops or Amazon/eBay and cut to shape, though it may be worth buying a pack of Fluval's product to start with if you intend to use it as that will provide a template for cutting from a length of floss.

I assume there's more space inside the second hand filter than the internal? If so I'd see how much space the internal's media will take up then just buy new media to fill what's left. If the internal has sponges they can be cut up to make them fit.

According to the manual, the Fluval 306 is supposed to have sponge ('bio-foam') in the bottom basket, ceramic noodles ('bio-max') in the middle basket and the polishing pad in the bottom of the top basket with carbon on top of it. But you can put whatever you want in there if using all new media.
You don't need carbon, so put more foam or noodles in its place.
The polishing pad is just filter wool usually placed last in the direction of water flow to catch any fine bits in the water. These are just filter wool (floss) which clogs easily and needs to be replaced regularly. Buying ready cut Fluval pads works out expensive. A length of filter wool/floss can be bought from pond supply shops or Amazon/eBay and cut to shape, though it may be worth buying a pack of Fluval's product to start with if you intend to use it as that will provide a template for cutting from a length of floss.
That’s perfect thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back