gouramis and x ray tetras

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
as my angels have died i would like to replace them with some other fish as the tanks (120 liter) b shaped tank is a little to small. i was wondering if these very beautiful fish would be okay in a tank along with a school of 7 x ray tetras and 6 peppered cories. the tank is planted and cycled etc. what exact waters hardness is an on going challenge to find out but i know it is very slightly on the hard side. i would like the natural colored ones as i think they are by far the most beautiful but definitely not the dwarfs.

I'm going from memory, but I thought we had determined your water is actually moderately soft, not harder?

Aside from that, which gourami species are you thinking of? A 120 liter (31 gallon) could house some of the small to medium species, but some are quite aggressive while others are much more calm. The cories won't be a problem. The X-Ray, presumably the Pristella Tetra, should be OK, as it is not too active a swimmer (gourami are sedate fish and need quiet tankmates) and it is not especially prone to fin nip.

Okay that is possible as I am also working from memory. You are probably right.

It doesn't really matter what species just as long at they are not dwarf. And preferably not aggressive. I only want 2 maybe 3.

Also what is the smallest tank that is suitable for these fish.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

also i would not want any males as they seem to be more aggressive. is it a good idea to rather have two or three females.

also i would not want any males as they seem to be more aggressive. is it a good idea to rather have two or three females.

With gourami, the males are the more colourful, some species considerably so. I always prefer to have male and female, as then you will get more natural and interesting behaviours. As just one example, the "croaking" sounds of the pygmy sparkling gourami will not occur without males as they produce it. All females will not be of much interest, and there is no guarantee they will not be somewhat aggressive anyway. Generally, it is best to have a ratio of more female to male, and ensure the tank is spacious for the species to do this.

All male gourami are territorial, but this does not mean they will tear each other to shreds. The species Trichopodus trichopterus will often be very aggressive, sometimes even to other species; this is a popular fish in stores, and comes in many variants but they are all the same species with the same traits/behaviours: blue, gold, cosby, 3-spot, opaline, marble...common names of the varieties. People often get one or two of these and have them in tanks that are too small, and then wish they hadn't; this species needs lots of room. And even then, careful tankmates; I stood in front of a store tank once and watched as 2-3 of these gourami circled a neon tetra and make a meal of the tetra within seconds.

Given sufficient room, and with a good cover of floating plants and lots of wood and/or plants to break up the space, most other species, at least the small to medium sized fish, tend to be fairly peaceful with male/male squabbles largely show. Though individual fish can vary from the norm. Gourami are not active swimmers, but cruisers, gently floating among plants and wood, so providing an aquascape that gives them lots of "stuff" is more likely to allow a peaceful tank.

The pygmy or sparkling gourami can work in a 30g (113 liter) tank. Length is more important than depth; even though not active swimming (length usually means more active fish), the length gives more space for territories with gourami, just as it does with dwarf cichlids. There is the similar croaking gourami. The eyespot gourami, not common in stores here anyway. The Pearl is a beauty, and quite peaceful, but needs space; at least a 3-foot tank, with one male and two females, or a larger group in a more spacious tank.

Last edited:
With gourami, the males are the more colourful, some species considerably so. I always prefer to have male and female, as then you will get more natural and interesting behaviours. As just one example, the "croaking" sounds of the pygmy sparkling gourami will not occur without males as they produce it. All females will not be of much interest, and there is no guarantee they will not be somewhat aggressive anyway. Generally, it is best to have a ration of more female to male, and ensure thee tank is spacious for the species to do this.

All male gourami are territorial, but this does not mean they will tear each other to shreds. The species Trichopodus trichopterus will often be very aggressive, sometimes even to other species; this is a popular fish in stores, and comes in many variants but they are all the same species with the same traits/behaviours: blue, gold, cosby, 3-spot, opaline, marble...common names of the varieties. People often get one or two of these and have them in tanks that are too small, and then wish they hadn't; this species needs lots of room. And even then, careful tankmates; I stood in front of a store tank once and watched as 2-3 of these gourami circled a neon tetra and make a meal of the tetra within seconds.

Given sufficient room, and with a good cover of floating plants and lots of wood and/or plants to break up the space, most other species, at least the small to medium sized fish, tend to be fairly peaceful with male/male squabbles largely show. Though individual fish can vary from the norm. Gourami are not active swimmers, but cruisers, gently floating among plants and wood, so providing an aquascape that gives them lots of "stuff" is more likely to allow a peaceful tank.

The pygmy or sparkling gourami can work in a 30g (113 liter) tank. Length is more important than depth; even though not active swimming (length usually means more active fish), the length gives more space for territories with gourami, just as it does with dwarf cichlids. There is the similar croaking gourami. The eyespot gourami, not common in stores here anyway. The Pearl is a beauty, and quite peaceful, but needs space; at least a 3-foot tank, with one male and two females, or a larger group in a more spacious tank.
Okay so I will probably get a mix then.

I'm not so sure if my tank is suitable. Please could you give me suggestions please note the plants have grown a little since then and the angels are no longer present.
693e822d15d465cde79c22d3f985a5a7.jpg

I would just add some floating plants. Not the tiny ones like duckweed, but more substantial plants that develop root systems that will hang down into the tank, sometimes halfway, which is ideal. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) is probably the best floating plant. Water lettuce is similar, and Tropical Frogbit.

You could also add some branches, or chunks of wood.

Okay so if i add monkey tail. As it grows fast and well.

Can I add a male and one or two three spot

Okay so if i add monkey tail. As it grows fast and well.

Can I add a male and one or two three spot

You do not want the 3-spot gourami. This is the most aggressive species as I pointed out previously.

Right okay noted. Okay which is a good option. I would like natural colored ones. And ones that are fairly common.

Right okay noted. Okay which is a good option. I would like natural colored ones. And ones that are fairly common.

I have no idea what may be available in your area, which I believe is South Africa. I mentioned a few gourami back a couple posts. Find out what you may be able to acquire (different species may appear at certain times of the year and not continually), and ask on this forum for advice.

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the help. I will post on here when I know.

Okay so I went to the lfs they have

Kissing gourami
Pearl gourami
Golden gourami
Red robin gourami

And they might have dwafs by Friday.

I am seriously like the red robins. Apparently they are a colour morph of the dwarf can anyone help me with this as I really like them and they are the right price.

Most reactions

trending

Back