gouramis and x ray tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Right so after looking around it seems that nobody really knows what a red robin is. I'm afraid that the lfs has muddled them with something more aggressive. As dwafs seem to be the least aggressive of the gourami I think I will settle for one male and one female.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Red robins are not a colour morph of dwarf gourami. Red dwarfs usually have a turquoise dorsal fin and red robins don't.
Depending where you read red robins are either a fancy name for the red colour morph of honey gourami or they are a honey gourami/thick lipped gourami cross. Whichever they actually are, they are hard to sex as you have to go by the length and pointiness of the fins (which won't yet be long and pointy in juvenile males). And they grow a bit bigger than honey gouramis.

Okay so I went to the lfs they have

Kissing gourami
Pearl gourami
Golden gourami
Red robin gourami

Forget Kissing Gourami. This fish gets very large, up to 1`2 inches (30 cm) and needing at minimum a 5-6 foot tank fo a group. And it is anything but peaceful. The "kissing" is actually a form of locking the jaws in aggression.

Golden Gourami is likely the gold variety of Trichopodus trichopterus, relatively aggressive as I described earlier. You do not want this gourami in smaller tanks.

Red Robin I don't know but essjay has explained that one.

Pearl Gourami is a beauty to be sure; one male and two females would be fine, provided the tank is at least 3 feet (90 cm) in length. One of the more peaceful gourami, but needs sufficient space. Previously you asked about the largest tank for gourami, so if you decide on a tank this size or longer, this would be a good species. But not in smaller tanks. A single male Pearl could be housed in slightly smaller tanks, but I would not have one in anything less than a 30-inch (75 cm) 29 gallon.

Okay since my tank Is 120 l and an unusual shape I think I'm going to go with the dwarf gourami. As it seems to be most peaceful and they are no less beautiful.

Yay I got them
f5e7b89a7a92844b2a5af90ee9abf390.jpg
15ce17ac6428bf5bab742a7258b3fd82.jpg
a88f6caeb2eba22fea81200707f513dd.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back