gouamis (sp) in a bowl?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
can they be kept in a large bowl like a betta or be best kept in a tank? i have a betta in a bowl in my room and my brother wants 2 get a fish in a bowl 2 i know that gouramis have the labirynth gland, would they be able 2 live in there for long or would the die quickly?

Gouramis need warmer (or just as warm) of water as bettas. Around 80 degrees. They also need mild circulation and good airated water because their organs aren't as developed as bettas. The only labyrinth fish besides a betta that I've heard about being kept in bowls were paradise fish but I still wouldn't reccomend anything less then 3 gallons if you were going to put one in a bowl... but I still think it would be kinda mean.

Yup, never heard of a gourami being kept in a bowl. I've had gouramis for years and they do best in large outdoor ponds where they build large bubble nests and breed freely, of course in a tropical climate. Gouramis can get pretty big too so I'm sure they wouldn't last long in a bowl.

Depends on the species. My 3 Spots won't get large enough to go in a pond but several species do. Dwarf Gouramis might go in a 3 gallon bowl but IMO it's asking for trouble.

Auratus said:
The only labyrinth fish besides a betta that I've heard about being kept in bowls were paradise fish but I still wouldn't reccomend anything less then 3 gallons if you were going to put one in a bowl... but I still think it would be kinda mean.
I've heard of people putting paradise fish in a bowl also.

I agree with Auratus, I wouldnt put one in bowl either. :no:

Even dwarf goerami's shouldn't be kept in a bowl, they need space to feel happy and display there natural behaviour. I think that no fish should be kept in a bowl.

maybe a 3 gallon tank? im getting 1 4 my betta, would it be ok for a paradise fish then? w/an areator etc?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back