Got A Job At Petsmart

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
gonna be one of the petcare associates. All the other petcare associates recommended me for the fish knowledge, so I got a job with the fish. I'll be starting on Monday :blink:

:D great! You can knock some sense into the other workers for me.
Yeah, I might even be able to get some sand in the peacock eel tank, finally. Poor things get so beat up in there from the sharp rocks :sad:

I've heard a lot of the ridiculousness is all part of uniformity, and they got in trouble for removing a tank divider to give the pictus catfish more room to swim, though. So a lot of the junk in petsmart tanks is not in the associates control. :sad:

Congrats! :)
Curious....did you answer you're "personality test" question with strongly agree and strongly disagree?

gonna be one of the petcare associates. All the other petcare associates recommended me for the fish knowledge, so I got a job with the fish. I'll be starting on Monday :blink:

I used to work at a petsmart. It was ok, I didn't last long, I got tired of it, and got a job at a jewelry store. I sold well for them though. Was able to talk 90% of the people coming in for one betta in a bowl to at least walk away with a 10g tropical community. LOLOLOL My biggest sale was one of those large tanks for an African cichlid tank. They wanted SW originally, but didn't like the maintenance, so I suggested an African tank. So, yes, you can spread education on the hobby, which is great.

Drawbacks..

The fish filtration system. Everything was on one filter. Fish have different requirements, used to drive me bonkers. And they kept it usually at 76 or 78. Goldfish and many of the corydoras were unhappy as were a lot of the cyprinids. Too hot. I used to want it at 75 or even at 74, a good compromise for most fish hardy species that they keep, slows their metabolism a bit too, and a little easier on those fish I mentioned, but they never let me lower the temp. They never keep any of the really "I must have warm water species" anyway, so I never understood why they couldn't just lower it a bit. But it's a business, so you can't tell them how to run it. Facing aisles was also a huge hassle. For some reason, despite being hired for fish care, I had to face everything from fish care all the way to birds and rodents. That just didn't make sense to me.

But congratulations, it's not a bad job. :)

Congrats! :)
Curious....did you answer you're "personality test" question with strongly agree and strongly disagree?
They didn't look at my application :blink: I was already doing the job before I was hired, minus the pet handling, but I was helping the other pet care associates not give bad advice. The manager caught me talking to a customer about what plants to use and how the "semi aquatic" plants will just rot in the tank, and that's when he asked for my contact info and told me he'd call when a position pops up

I used to work at a petsmart. It was ok, I didn't last long, I got tired of it, and got a job at a jewelry store. I sold well for them though. Was able to talk 90% of the people coming in for one betta in a bowl to at least walk away with a 10g tropical community. LOLOLOL My biggest sale was one of those large tanks for an African cichlid tank. They wanted SW originally, but didn't like the maintenance, so I suggested an African tank. So, yes, you can spread education on the hobby, which is great.
I'll be working amongst a lot of friends there as well, I think I'll like the job. The only issue is that they may have me opening the store more often than not and since I can't drive I'll be awake and walking at around 4:30 am :blink:

Whatever I end up doing, it'll be better than burger king :blink:

Congratz! I want to work there but you need to be 18...

:D great! You can knock some sense into the other workers for me.
Yeah, I might even be able to get some sand in the peacock eel tank, finally. Poor things get so beat up in there from the sharp rocks :sad:

I've heard a lot of the ridiculousness is all part of uniformity, and they got in trouble for removing a tank divider to give the pictus catfish more room to swim, though. So a lot of the junk in petsmart tanks is not in the associates control. :sad:
+1 on that. I am good friends with my local chain fish store guy (im not going to name the store) but they keep the snails in the cold water tank. He has been fighting to get them moved to the warmer tanks and the snail havent been doing well. But corporate wants them in the cold water tank so he is stuck on that...

Oh, wow lucky for you then! LOL :lol:
I did mine but so far from the manager told me, they are fully staffed.

Congratulations! I applied for a job in a fish shop back along. It was a cracker of a cover letter I wrote, with all the key points I know about fish and how it applies to selling them, just to prove I really know my stuff. I haven't heard back from them though :(

Most reactions

Back