GOLDFISH PREGNANT?

roxie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I HAVE BEEN NOTICING IN THE LAST WEEK THAT MY GOLDFISH HAS GOTTEN REAL PLUMP AND THIS MORNING WHEN I WENT TO FEED THEM "SHE" WAS REALLY SQUARED OFF AND HUGE! ALSO THERE IS ONLY TWO GOLDFISH IN THIS POND. I DON'T HAVE ANY PLANTS IN WITH THEM CUZ THEY EAT THEM UP. WHAT SHOULD I DO? ALSO THIS IS OR WOULD BE THE FIRST TIME I HAVE DEALT WITH AN EGG LAYER.

Well if they are in a pond enviroment it is best to leave them to their own devices. However, it is abit late for them to spawn it normally takes place in early spring so it is unlikely. If she is carrying eggs though it won't do her any harm so just leave them to it. You may want to add a form of underwater weed to give them something to spawn in so the eggs aren't all eaten and can be removed if you like. :)

HI , WOULD A COUPLE OF PLASTIC PLANTS BE OK...THEY HAVE EATEN EVERY LIVE PLANT I HAVE PUT IN WITH THEM!

ryan about this too late malarky lol ive noticed water changes can lead to spawning ,sudden drops in temp or vice versa i dont think theres any specific time for domestic fish,i know spring is the norm but some fish do spawn later if the situation is correct :nod:

roxie is this the newly built pond ? if so this may be the reason if the fish have just been added recently

bribones said:
ryan about this too late malarky lol ive noticed water changes can lead to spawning ,sudden drops in temp or vice versa i dont think theres any specific time for domestic fish,i know spring is the norm but some fish do spawn later if the situation is correct :nod:

roxie is this the newly built pond ? if so this may be the reason if the fish have just been added recently
Yes that is true Bribones, you can induce spawning of fish with warmer water changes to signify the arrival of spring or for other species colder water changes representing the rainy season. This works well in a tank but in a large pond performing such water changes is difficult and rarely undertaken. :)

THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE POND SINCE SPRING TIME AND THEY ARE THE ONLY TWO FISH IN IT FOR NOW. I DID TRY PUTTING A LARGE BUNCH OF ANACHARIS IN WITH THEM..SO FAR THEY HAVEN'T EATEN IT UP!! USUALLY A PLANT IS GONE IN A FEW DAYS WITH THEM!!..QUESTION THOUGH..WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN THE FRY ARE BORN..WOULD THEY SURVIVE THE WINTER...I DO HAVEA HEATER.

Well if these are Goldfish eggs than they should be removed immediatly and placed in water no deeper than 6" and of the same temperature as the pond. After this gradually raise the temp to 70C and they should hatch in 3-4 days. The eggs that appear almost clear are fertile, the others are likely to have white fungus on them. After 48 hours of hatching they are ready to be feed on commercail liquid foods, then onto Baby brine shrimp and infusoria and so on.

Most reactions

trending

Back