goldfish need friends

dawn1

Reaction score
hi sorry if i sound stupid but im new at this. ive had my gold fish in a 1 1/2 foot tank for a few months but have just brought a 3ft tank , my question is i would like to get somemore fish and thought i would get somthing differant, but i dont know what go with goldfish if anything ? i have got a pump in allready and i have brought an heater ,can anyone advise.thank you :/

hi dawn;
you say a 3 ft tank but what are the other dimensions(LxHxW)?
what kind of filtration are you running (unger gravel, internal, external)?
what temperature is the water at?
if you answer these questions then we will be in a better position to help you.

Yes but goldfish grow to 12" and at that size they'd kill the guppies. In fact, goldfish grow very, very quickly and the guppies wouldn't have long to live once the goldfish got to around 6". The same would apply to white cloud mountain minnows which are fine with young goldfish but can easily get killed by bigger fish. Peppered and bronze cories also work sometimes but you need slihtly warmer water.

You could try fathead minnows/rosy reds which are often sold as feeders if you live in the US and get to about 4". They are also very hardy (unlike modern fancy guppies) and are true coldwater fish.

You need to tell us how many gallons your tank is as well. The general rule is 20 gallons for one goldfish and 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. Also, goldfish like to be in groups. So if your new tank is at least 30 gallons and you only have 1, I'd get another and forget other tank-mates for the sake of your fish.

Also, do you do regular water changes? Do you de-chlorinate your water? (this is something a lot of goldfish owners manage to over-look)

What kind of goldfish is it? The fancy ones need slightly different things than the regular comet/feeder goldfish, and you can't put them together. I don't even believe in putting comets or feeders in tanks as they get so big so freaking fast, they're more pond goldfish really.

I agree with Sylvia, get another goldfish. My goldfish take no notice of the minnows and therefore are not company for them, but always swim with each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back