Glow in the dark fish in the U.S.A. yay!

I guess its just a question of ethics, but these fish seem compleatly wrong (plus their website is realy sleezy too). I personaly wouldn't mind seeing every last one shipped off to the meat grinder and used as fertiliser, along with all the blood parrots and painted glass fish.

does the websight SEEMING sleazy to YOU have anything to do with it really? Have you read the independant risk analisies? now If you couple the fact that normal zebras are more of a threat to our waterways and that it's no more dangerouse (for the fish) to grow more glofish than it is to grow more regulare zebras and the scientific POV that andy brought to he discusion
whilst i am not saying selling them is good, it isnt necessarily bad
where does the sleaz come in?

opcn

opcn said:
whilst i am not saying selling them is good, it isnt necessarily bad
where does the sleaz come in?

opcn
erm i said that bit
and i did not say it was sleazy ;-)

edit: but having read the post again i dont think you are refering to me saying it was sleazy
arrrggh my head hurts

Why don't the cleaver scientists put themselves to glow? :devil:

I shouldn't have posted such a bold comment on what to do with the zebras, but I still stand the same.
Most of my hate towards fish like Blood parrots, died fish, flowerhorns, and glowfish™ is due to the fact that A) people can't be satisfied with the 40,00 fish species that are created naturally, so we create our own B ) They cost WAY to much! glofish are $12.50, with that money, you could buy 12 zebra danios, or a Pseudotropheus Demasoni (one of most beautiful cichlids that occur naturally), and from what I’ve read, Flowerhorns go for over $50! You could buy a whole new tank with that much. Finally, C) The more of these “fish” they create, the more tanks are being filled with them instead of platys and cories. In the future, we might not even have any "real" fish to choose from.

There will always be a market for normal fish. Blood parrots and painted glass fish didn't flush everything else out of the market and these won't either. The high price you complained about actualy functions to keep there popularity down. and if we face the facts california will always be there to keep the "real" fish market going.

Opcn

P.S. unless a mod came and removed a bunch of old posts we are at 100 plus! yay! :kana:

Edit: andy I was useing the quote of you to cap off my argument against the argument that the fish were bad because the web sight seemed sleezy

opcn said:
Edit: andy I was useing the quote of you to cap off my argument against the argument that the fish were bad because the web sight seemed sleezy
yeah i realised that when i re-read it

i read kens post last night, must check again now, shame glofish havent replied to him - doesnt help their cause really

FrankSlapperinni said:
Most of my hate towards fish like Blood parrots, died fish, flowerhorns, and glowfish™ is due to the fact that A) people can't be satisfied with the 40,00 fish species that are created naturally, so we create our own B ) They cost WAY to much! glofish are $12.50, with that money, you could buy 12 zebra danios, or a Pseudotropheus Demasoni (one of most beautiful cichlids that occur naturally), and from what I’ve read, Flowerhorns go for over $50! You could buy a whole new tank with that much. Finally, C) The more of these “fish” they create, the more tanks are being filled with them instead of platys and cories. In the future, we might not even have any "real" fish to choose from.
Man you need to chill a bit Frank...all that hate for a few species of fish is really being wasted because....well because they are fish.
I understand some folks have strong feelings about messing with nature but HATE...for FISH....anger mangagement classes dude. :crazy:

By the way.....I'm just messing with you Frank I think this whole subject is getting a little goofy and in need of some lightening up.

FrankSlapperinni said:
Most of my hate towards fish like Blood parrots, died fish, flowerhorns, and glowfish™ is due to the fact ....
the only real thing about this and similar debates that annoys me are comments like that
why hate the fish?
the fish has done nothing wrong
if you have any negative emotional vibes at all, direct them at the people who are responsible for these fish, not the fish, and not innocent people who dont know any better and buy them

I'm sorry, I meant I hate the people who make those fish (I hate when people say that too, I can't beleive I made that mistake).

I agree. It seems wrong to try to alter fish, just for the fun of it. Also, are glowing fish really necessary? :dunno:

I just came back from my LFS and they had a small 10 gallon with a school of them, they had a ultraviolet light above the tank to make them glow. I must say, they aren't anything like the pictures, they only have two stipes of glowing "material" along the top and the bottem and the top, and the rest of them is just a dull grayish color that is faded by the UV lamp. They looked exactly like dyed fish, and I must say, none of them looked to active (or healthy).
I still can't actualy see buying one of thses fish (especialy for $12.50)

Most reactions

Back