Glow in the dark fish in the U.S.A. yay!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Opcn

Big fish
Reaction score
They are finally coming to the U.S. customes will finaly allow them after the new year. hazza!

Thye are called glofish. I think it is very inhumane to breed fish with a flourescent gene. Zebra danios are pretty the way they are and shouldn't be allowed to be bred with chemicals. It's just as bad as dying glass fish.

they have them at my LFS. Jacks Pets and Aquariums is the first store in the US to have them. They are neat. I read some paperwork they had on them. It does not seem inhumane how they do it, but i agree- dont mess with nature. I do however like why they were created. They were created to test water cnoditions and disease outbreaks. A lot of us use danios to cycle tanks knowing full well that we might lose one or two in the process. We have the option of fishless cycling. Scientists use them to better familiarize themselves with disease much like lab rats. anyways.... they are pretty enat noce you see them. 5 bucks each.. a little steep for zebra danios. :smb:

I don't get how someone can say "don't mess with nature" or "play god" when we all believe in modern medicine(put away your aspirin).. then we should not create cures for sickness and disease? Or cross x guppy with y guppy to create z guppy? Pretty much the same stuff.. And I also see these topics ending up in heated debates..

And I also see these topics ending up in heated debates..

Yep, and we've had this debate here and others alike that the threads need to be closed.

Let's all keep a level head and we can all learn from each other.

Whether we agree or disagree we can all take something from this thread if it remains open and debatable. I'd like to learn along with you all but it's up to you guys.

Let's please keep it civil and help each other learn from our own pov's.

And no, I didn't mean you bgraber just because I quoted you, you just gave me the perfect segue. You're the last person I have to worry about.

let me rephrase me statement. dont mess with nature just to be messin. have an agenda. do we need 3 headed sheep? no. do we need z molly. sure. no harm done in a little cross breeding. the neon coloring does not harm the danio in any way. it does not bother me. if the danio is cool with it so am i. i dont beleive in the fertilization and culturing of human cells for embryonic stem cell research but do believe in the advancement of the field through the use of discarded material such as umbilical cords and placenta. i dont wish to get this heated but i think it would be a great conversation for us to have in a civil manner. i would love to read everyones ideas on the GLOFISH (tm). that cracks me up. how can u trademark a fish? haha lets have some fun and discuss it.

i got my post in after the post of SMB but did not see it. i respect the decision of the moderators to keep posts like mine out of here. if possible, please remove it. thank you.

knutty said:
i got my post in after the post of SMB but did not see it.  i respect the decision of the moderators to keep posts like mine out of here.  if possible, please remove it.  thank you.
If your post was bad I would have closed this thread already. Noone was out of line here at all so far.

I just wanted to try and keep it on track and civil because this topic and a few others like this has already come and it got heated. The last thing I want to do is close a thread and was only trying to prevent it.

You're doing good and so is everyone here that's posted. Kid gloves aren't always expected at TFF but respect is. :)

I look forward to yours and everyone elses opinion. :)

I agree with knutty to his opinion. Whats wrong with some crossbreeding? But dont go using embryoic cells for cloning or stuff like that. And as to trademarking fish, u cant trademark a normal fish just as u cant trademark water. But add a glow gene to the fish and u can trademark it, just like adding some flavour, gas and colour to a drink and u can trademark it. A fish, water, freak fish and fizzy drink metaphor ;) .

they have gloFish at my LFS also.....12.99

they looked pretty normal to me, I'd like to see them under a blacklight though!

bgraber said:
I don't get how someone can say "don't mess with nature" or "play god" when we all believe in modern medicine(put away your aspirin)..
*has no aspirin to put away* lol I don't believe (much) in modern medicine. I stick to herbal tea remedies. It's worked great for me :)

Humanity has been tinkering with cross breeding species for centuries. Good? Bad? Depends on how you see it I guess, lol. Personally, I think it's best to leave it to nature.

In regards to dyed fish, glow fish, etc. I don't agree with it at all, but to each his/her own.

I personaly don't see the diference between cross breading with a needle and cross breeding in an unatural tank. besides the fish only arose after he had modifyed fish to view heart development. he just missplaced his needle by a few microns and boom an new fish is born.

Opcn

opcn said:
...besides the fish only arose after he had modifyed fish to view heart development. he just missplaced his needle by a few microns and boom an new fish is born.
not saying you are wrong, but i had read the fish was created to allow scientists to monitor water quality, adding the marker gene (a flourescant one from another species) enabled the scientists to monitor the conditions more easily.

i suspect the name is what is trademarked not the fish, just means if someone else comes along and creates a glowing fish they cant call it a GLOFISH, not that they cant use the technology to create another fish.

all in all from what i have read, i understand what and why it was done...
the fact that they have decided to market the fish (with a proportion of the profits going towards something good - cant remember exctly what) is not of great concern to me. the fish and the science behind it will have undergone stringent test and research before anyone considered allowing them into the public domain.

the fish according to reports hasnt been harmed in anyway by this procedure
it was 'created' for want of a better word for a good, useful purpose
if people want to pay over 5* the normal zebra price to look at one of these then that is their decision

i might even be tempted myself if they become available over here

fish are bred and cross bred to produce new colour and size variants, this isnt really all that far removed from that.
it is something that has been used in science for many many years, the procedures well documented and proven over time.
the sebra is just an new host, but this time someone has decided to sell them too

hands up how many people knew about the research they were used for before you found out they were going to made available to buy?

there are a lot worse things going on out there that we dont even know about

:smb: This is me raising my hand. and the flourescent marker came from a jelly fish in the green one *Rice fish*(yes just like the glowing mice) and a type of coral for the pink *zebra danios*

Opcn

Genetically modified stuff is illegal to import into Denmark.

Most reactions

Back