Glass surfing or normal cory behavior?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OP's problem is that the tank is too small to add more, I forget how small from other threads but OP has had some issues with overstocking and losses recently.

There is no mention of tank size in this thread. But one should never have fish that cannot be kept in what they expect (the group) except when it comes to old age and fish dying off. There must be a group of cories, I would say around 8+ for the larger species in total, and 10-12 for the pygmies. There is no alternative, the fish have a need and it must be fulfilled.

Thank you so so much all.
I am very aware I am in the wrong with the tank size/fish number as I have been saying throughout this thread, and I am trying my best to fix it.

1. Yep, I was most definitely not trusting the fish store employee. Unfortunately, the person I was shopping with did, and would not listen to me no matter how many times I attempted to tell them 'this is not your greatest idea ever'.
2. Yes, it is a VERY expensive fish shop. I am really starting to hate them with the price and wrong info and all of that, but there's actually no-where else I can go, because they are the only place that sell more than neon's and guppies pretty much (I get my neon's for $2.50 each at PetStock, which actually have pretty good quality ones, even though there are a big box store). That's part of teh reason I'm struggling to get them in a group, because I just don't have that much money to spend.
3. As I'm reading it, I think you're saying I've got some time to increase the numbers, and they won't die instantly. I am FULLY aware that I need some more, but I do have some time.
4. My tank is a 10gal planted, which is also part of the problem (don't want to overstock more, as it is slightly overstocked already). It has the cories (3 peppers, 2 pygmies (both came out this morning, so at least I know I still have 2) and the 1 lonely false julii in question) as well as 10 neons. As Lcc said, I had some issues a few weeks ago with dying fish (I lost a pygmy to unknown causes with the only symptom 'paleness', a new neon to suspected parasite, and the other false julii also to suspected parasite or worm from lfs). Before I lost these two cories I had 8 cories, and they were all happy for about a week and then two of them died. Such is life.
5. I honestly CANNOT by any means get 10-12 pygmies (they cost AUS $18 each). Are you saying that I need 10-12 pygmies or 10-12 total cories for the pygmies to be happy? If 1, that would mean I am going to have to return them, leaving have 4 cories (3 peppers and 1 julii), meaning I would need another 4 to get a group of 8. If 2, then I would still need another 4 cories to make a school of 10. Either way, I need more cories.
6. The way it's going, I am probably maybe hopefully going to get a 20-30 gal for Christmas (I really hope so), so that means that I could move ALL the cories into the new tank once cycled and maybe just keep neons in the current tank. this rules out the space. If I don't get it for Christmas, I guess I'll be trawling through ebay for a tank less than $150.

I feel like such as trash fishkeeper right about now.

Thank you so so much all.
I am very aware I am in the wrong with the tank size/fish number as I have been saying throughout this thread, and I am trying my best to fix it.

1. Yep, I was most definitely not trusting the fish store employee. Unfortunately, the person I was shopping with did, and would not listen to me no matter how many times I attempted to tell them 'this is not your greatest idea ever'.
2. Yes, it is a VERY expensive fish shop. I am really starting to hate them with the price and wrong info and all of that, but there's actually no-where else I can go, because they are the only place that sell more than neon's and guppies pretty much (I get my neon's for $2.50 each at PetStock, which actually have pretty good quality ones, even though there are a big box store). That's part of teh reason I'm struggling to get them in a group, because I just don't have that much money to spend.
3. As I'm reading it, I think you're saying I've got some time to increase the numbers, and they won't die instantly. I am FULLY aware that I need some more, but I do have some time.
4. My tank is a 10gal planted, which is also part of the problem (don't want to overstock more, as it is slightly overstocked already). It has the cories (3 peppers, 2 pygmies (both came out this morning, so at least I know I still have 2) and the 1 lonely false julii in question) as well as 10 neons. As Lcc said, I had some issues a few weeks ago with dying fish (I lost a pygmy to unknown causes with the only symptom 'paleness', a new neon to suspected parasite, and the other false julii also to suspected parasite or worm from lfs). Before I lost these two cories I had 8 cories, and they were all happy for about a week and then two of them died. Such is life.
5. I honestly CANNOT by any means get 10-12 pygmies (they cost AUS $18 each). Are you saying that I need 10-12 pygmies or 10-12 total cories for the pygmies to be happy? If 1, that would mean I am going to have to return them, leaving have 4 cories (3 peppers and 1 julii), meaning I would need another 4 to get a group of 8. If 2, then I would still need another 4 cories to make a school of 10. Either way, I need more cories.
6. The way it's going, I am probably maybe hopefully going to get a 20-30 gal for Christmas (I really hope so), so that means that I could move ALL the cories into the new tank once cycled and maybe just keep neons in the current tank. this rules out the space. If I don't get it for Christmas, I guess I'll be trawling through ebay for a tank less than $150.

You're doing your best. A trash fishkeeper wouldn't even bother trying to learn how to care better for their fish or would just dismiss any advice they didn't want to hear. It might take some time but you'll get it figured out.

I've said all I can say to help. You need to get more fish, the pygmies are one aspect and need 10, the other cories are another. These issues really do matter to the fish.

There must be a group of cories,

Just to add, for clarity.... species from lineage 1 (not commonly available) and lineage 3 (now in the genus Scleromystax) do not live in groups as the males are actually extremely territorial. These species should be kept in pairs.
All other Corys live in groups.

I don’t see you like that. You’ve explained your position, and getting into a bad situation because of bad advice is all too common in this hobby. Just increase the groups when you can. :)

Thank you so much (I know I say that I lot, but I mean it each time I say it) all.
I've said all I can say to help. You need to get more fish, the pygmies are one aspect and need 10, the other cories are another. These issues really do matter to the fish.
As I said, whether I get the tank for Christmas or not, I will have one soon (I will buy it if I have to rob the bank or something), and as soon as I have, (and cycled it and stuff, obviously), there will be another 2 juliis and another 2 pygmies at the very least. I might even try to add a few before getting the new tank, but then again, I really don't want to overcrowd the tank even more. I know that being part of a school is really important to these fish, and therefore really important to me too, as un-expert as I may be. Thank you so much for all your advice, and I am definitely taking it seriously.
You're doing your best. A trash fishkeeper wouldn't even bother trying to learn how to care better for their fish or would just dismiss any advice they didn't want to hear. It might take some time but you'll get it figured out.
I don’t see you like that. You’ve explained your position, and getting into a bad situation because of bad advice is all too common in this hobby. Just increase the groups when you can. :)
Thanks guys. This means a lot to me, and I hope that overtime I can finally get the hang of this hobby. I am trying.

This...

We all made mistakes in the beginning, and we all had bad advice. And it’s a huge learning curve. A lot of people ignore advice and the needs of the fish. You’re obviously not one of them.

My best advice is to get the biggest tank you can. Even a second hand one. I wouldn’t even keep fish in 10 gallons, with very few exceptions. Believe it or not, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to look after. And more space will reduce stress.

Last edited:
Are there any particular brands/types of tanks that you could recommend? I don't want to buy something that will break/leak/make me pay way to much. I'm thinking 20-30 gallons (I know bigger is better, but unfortunately, better is expensive-er too). I'll probably get it on gumtree or something... and a filter and heater and stuff too. Recommendations?

The 10g I have at the moment I got for Christmas when I was six and we kept creek-caught guppies (which were plain and grey but also literally invincible, they lived through a lot) and later native (also creek caught) swordtails with a few plastic shells and plants in it for ages... then we moved house a few years ago, and it then sat in the new house shed for a few years, and early last year I fished it (haha) out again and bought a heater, plants and stock. That's why it's ten gallons.

Anyway, that long and irrelevant story is pretty much to say I have no idea what to buy for this new tank. Any suggestions welcome! (But I might post this on a new thread, for convenience).
And thanks all for all your advice.

Thank you so much (I know I say that I lot, but I mean it each time I say it) all.

As I said, whether I get the tank for Christmas or not, I will have one soon (I will buy it if I have to rob the bank or something), and as soon as I have, (and cycled it and stuff, obviously), there will be another 2 juliis and another 2 pygmies at the very least. I might even try to add a few before getting the new tank, but then again, I really don't want to overcrowd the tank even more. I know that being part of a school is really important to these fish, and therefore really important to me too, as un-expert as I may be. Thank you so much for all your advice, and I am definitely taking it seriously.

Thanks guys. This means a lot to me, and I hope that overtime I can finally get the hang of this hobby. I am trying.
You are trying to do your best, mistakes happen to everyone, I have been in your position and didn't understand why my cories kept dying until it finally clicked I'd overstocked a very small tank. I felt very guilty afterwards for putting those fish in that situation, I can't change it now, I can only do better moving forward. What I would say is don't add anything else to this tank as you may lose them due to overstocking and cause further issues, just save up your money for the tank and fish as and when the tank is cycled. I have a 30g now with 9 cories (lost one) and 12 pygmies, and it's fun to watch them all in the much better environment. Just do your best for the fish you have now, keep up with regular water changes to battle any overstocking water quality issues, and keep an eye out for any secondhand tanks that may come up online.

Could you not get a second hand tank locally - one that you can see full of water before you buy it? I don’t want to recommend buying a used tank unseen and getting it shipped. That’s always a risk.

How would you recommend finding such a tank? I've been looking through gumtree and ebay, but like you said I don't want to buy somethin that doesn't at all work.

Well, the reason my stockings a bit messed up is we went in to lfs to get another 3 or 4 pygmies, and someone I was shopping with (who called the shots) decided not to listen to me....

I'm desperately hoping for a second tank for Christmas
I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but man do I feel you there...trying to convince my parents to let me get a 10g for my bronze cory (he needs desperately needs friends, poor guy--right in there with feeling like a bad fishkeeper :sad:) has been a real challenge in my household.
Have you been able to get that new tank yet? If not (not quite sure what you guys have in Australia), I would try looking at Petco half-off Aqueon deals (formerly dollar-per-gallon sale). A quick search says that they have one in Brisbane, as well as some place called PetO--however, not sure if either are the expensive lfs you mentioned above. I would have suggested Craigslist, but apparently that's the American-version of Gumtree (or Gumtree is the Australian-version of Craigslist). Aquabid.com might have something worth looking at, but as Ichthys mentioned above, there's always the risk of getting something damaged.

Well, a lot has happened since this post, so I'll just stick with short sentences.

Julii cory died. A pygmy died. Saved up and bought a tank off gumtree for a great price. Tank cracked. Fixed tank. Tank cracked again. Saved up and bought a new tank. 2 peppers died (well, one died and one vanished) while on holiday just before transferring. Added 3 new peppers a few weeks ago.

So, now have a 55gal with 2 pygmies and 4 peppers... which is about as bad as I started with. Am hopefully getting some more in a few weeks, but I was really annoyed (probably not the best word) as I was just about to have 7 peppers with *possibly* more pygmies on the way when we went on holidays and two died. Such is life. I'm honestly thinking about just giving away the pygmies (although I love them to bits) and just keeping peppers to keep down expenses, as 1 pygmy is still costing me a decent chunk of cash while peppers are slightly more manageable.

Well, a lot has happened since this post, so I'll just stick with short sentences.

Julii cory died. A pygmy died. Saved up and bought a tank off gumtree for a great price. Tank cracked. Fixed tank. Tank cracked again. Saved up and bought a new tank. 2 peppers died (well, one died and one vanished) while on holiday just before transferring. Added 3 new peppers a few weeks ago.

So, now have a 55gal with 2 pygmies and 4 peppers... which is about as bad as I started with. Am hopefully getting some more in a few weeks, but I was really annoyed (probably not the best word) as I was just about to have 7 peppers with *possibly* more pygmies on the way when we went on holidays and two died. Such is life. I'm honestly thinking about just giving away the pygmies (although I love them to bits) and just keeping peppers to keep down expenses, as 1 pygmy is still costing me a decent chunk of cash while peppers are slightly more manageable.
Really sorry to hear about that...while I'm glad you were able to find a new tank to replace your new tank, it's definitely frustrating when you experience such a high rate of death. Hope you're able to find a solution soon!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back