Glass Catfish, Bent Spine.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rezatii

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I bought some glass cats last week after falling in love with them several months ago, but I've noticed one has a bent spine, what could be the cause of this? Can I fix it? Will (s)he be okay like this?

The glass catfish in question has been eating fine (flake + live food) and none of his friends show any signs of illness.

Tested stats about an hour ago
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Don't have a test kit for Nitrate, but I can probably get ahold of one tomorrow if it's necassary :)

126l tank, moderately planted

Tanks mates are 4 zebra danios, 4x assorted rainbow fish and other glass cats

No other recent illness in the tank no other new occupants.

Can't think of anything else I need to add to that, any advice is appreciated :)

I will try and get a picture soon but he is very fond of hiding in the plants so... I'll try XD

-Rezz

Bent spine can mean old age, injury, birth defect, vitamin deficiency, fish tb, internal parasites.

Does thin fish look thin or bloated.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
Is the belly sunken in.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.

He's only around 2-2.5" long so I doubt he's old?

He's a little skinny compared to his friends anus isn't red or inflamed, haven't witnessed him going to the toilet but there are no worms.

-Rezz

I would issolate him as it could be fish tb to internal parasites.
Once a fish get really skinny and the spine bends the damage has been done.
It might be kinder to end his misery.

I would keep a look out for when your fish go to the toilet.

Oh my gosh, tb? I really don't want to rish my others getting it, Im not sure what to do, should I set up a hospital tank for him? I could probably sort out something with a heatmat but I'm not sure, I don't have a spare heater or filter. Would it really be kinder to euthanize him? Even if I don't know that its Tb?

I'm uploading a short video of him I took, is it okay to link to it on here? (hosted on photobucket)

If I do have to euthanize him is it best to decapitate him? I heard that was best but someone else mentioned freezing water... (But this sounds horribly cruel and I really don't think I could do it)

Thank you Wilder for your help, it is very much appreciated <3

-Rezz

Okay here's the video;

I apologize if we aren't meant to show video's here, let me know and I will remove it asap.

-Rezz

Bless him. Dosn't look to bad to me. Apart from the bending.
I would worm your fish.
Its hard to say fish tb without having tests done on a fish. Also there quite alot of symtoms to fish tb and your fish is only showing two signs. They can also point to internal parasites.

Get you a link to fish tb so you know what to look out for.

http://www.torrens.org.uk/NatHist/Aqua/disease/tb.html

I would try worming him first to give him a chance.

Okay, Thanks :D

Is there a particular medicine I should use fr worming my tank, a brand name or something? I might be able to pick something up at my LFS tomorrow, but they usually don't have much in the way of medicine. However I might be going to a larger LFS on friday so they'll probably have more in case I can't get what's necassary :)

And no, he doesn't seem to bad to me either, he's still eating well and everything, it's just the bending that had me concerned...

-Rezz

Dunno about your fish but the plant with wide leaves and stripes that is yellowing is not a true aquatic plant. It will just continue to rot, you should take them out and replace with a different one. I had the same ones before and they just all died and mucked up the water. If you can find the name of it look it up, it needs leafs above the water level to survive.

Neat fish though, I want to get those at some point, hope the guy survives.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back