Gh/kh/ph Query...

TheRedDarren

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey,

I've just bought JBL GH and a JBL KH kits, my PH. is at 7.4 but GH is 5deg and KH is at 4 deg, does this sound right? 5 and 4 deg are considered soft water but I'd assume the PH would be lower... any thoughts?

Hey,

I've just bought JBL GH and a JBL KH kits, my PH. is at 7.4 but GH is 5deg and KH is at 4 deg, does this sound right? 5 and 4 deg are considered soft water but I'd assume the PH would be lower... any thoughts?

Good evening RedDarren... i too suffer with very soft water, i can't remember exactly the results of my tap water KH/GH test but suffice to say it was certainly lower than yours, and that's only 40 odd miles West up the M4 !!

Terry.

If your water is soft then there must be some other base in your water to make the alkaline pH result (not the usual KH/pH relationship). Therefore my understanding is usual additives to lower pH by making water softer will not be as effective as that isn't the cause for pH reading.
I think that leaves you with a couple of fairly easy to do options;
a. Get some RO water from local shop? And experiment mixing it with your tap water to get the desired ph level before using it in wc to gradually lower your tanks pH.
b. Collect rain water to use for wc (this might even be slightly acidic).

Of course all this goes out the window if something base is actually in your tank causing the pH to rise after it enters the tank. What is the usual readings of your tap water (the low kH and gH might be due to depreciation in the tank too).

I have opposite water to you in that my KH is over 200ppm gH is over 500ppm and my tap water is 6.9pH.

If your water is soft then there must be some other base in your water to make the alkaline pH result (not the usual KH/pH relationship). Therefore my understanding is usual additives to lower pH by making water softer will not be as effective as that isn't the cause for pH reading.
I think that leaves you with a couple of fairly easy to do options;
a. Get some RO water from local shop? And experiment mixing it with your tap water to get the desired ph level before using it in wc to gradually lower your tanks pH.
b. Collect rain water to use for wc (this might even be slightly acidic).

Of course all this goes out the window if something base is actually in your tank causing the pH to rise after it enters the tank. What is the usual readings of your tap water (the low kH and gH might be due to depreciation in the tank too).

I have opposite water to you in that my KH is over 200ppm gH is over 500ppm and my tap water is 6.9pH.

Hmm thanks for that, I didn't think that it added up correctly... My tap water is GH 6 kh 5 PH 7.8, Tank is GH 5 KH 4 PH 7.4... so its being slightly soften by the bog wood, alder cones and almond leaf but there seems to be something resisting it yea? I 've got some secondhand unknown sand/fine gravel substrate in there... which I plan to remove anyway, I'll do that now and report back!

Found out by talking to father in law (used to work for water board) that some soft water supplies have Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) basically caustic soda added to raise the pH and stop any damage to pipework.
This would suggest a possibility that the cause of your higher than expected pH is due to a base (alkaline) being added by the water supplier (backed up by your tap water results). You would have to neutralise this (by adding acid) or remove it some other way to lower your pH.

I'd give your supplier a ring with the results and see if they can explain them to you (if you know why, might be in a better position to get your ideal water)

You'll need a chemist here I think to give us definitive guidence and to assure us what would be safe.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back