Gettting sand..

StingrayKid said:
Where can I get play sand? -_-
I got mine at Lowe's - Home Depot would also have it as well as Toys R Us, to name just a few - any place that sells playground equipment would probably carry it as well. I got my bag (enough to fill my 46g) for about $2.65 :thumbs:

I would go with Thaiti Moon Sand, I found it really easy to clean, and it looks really nice, and not to mention it didn't move my Ph a bit, and i was able to switch from sand to gravel without moving the fish

parker313 said:
I knew crushed coral and shells could raise your pH, but had never heard that about sand...... -_-
natural beach sand = crushed coral and shells

i just used sand from a freshwater lagoon near where i live. the ph didn't rise noticeably but then i only have a small area of sand in my tank

when cleaning i hold the vacuum about an inch from the sand surface and the fish poo gets sucked away leaving the sand in place

like somebody said give the sand a stir - i do it every time i change water, once or twice a fortnight - to stop bad bacteria developing

FishManiac987 said:
I would go with Thaiti Moon Sand, I found it really easy to clean, and it looks really nice, and not to mention it didn't move my Ph a bit, and i was able to switch from sand to gravel without moving the fish
True, Tahitian moon sand is nice. But you're talking $20 for 15 pounds vs. $2 for 50 pounds of play sand. If you want a natural looking tank... like a river setting... go with play sand.

Most reactions

Back