Gettting sand..

StingrayKid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I know you have to wash sand before you put it in your tank, but, how do you know when you're done washing? My other question is: How do you clean the sand AFTER it's in your tank? I have a Python cleaning system that hooks up to my sink so, I'm afraid that sand is so fine that it will go down my drain and clog it. -_- A little advice?

You'll know you're done rinsing it when the water runs fairly clear.

When you vacuum, just swish the vacuum about an inch over the sand to stir up the poo, and let it get sucked up into the vac. I wouldn't worry about the sand clogging the drain, it's small enough to go right through the pipes.

Both are valid questions - rinse till the water runs clear, some sand seems to take forever but it's well worth cleaning it BEFORE it goes in the tank as fighting the clouds water later is a real pain. As for cleaning it, it's actually easier then gravel, you will develop a feel for how close to the sand to suction with the python, dirty material usually does not penetrate the surface of the sand so your tank stays cleaner with your vaccuming then with gravel. You do need to stir the sand periodically with a chopstick or something to release air posckets under the sand that can develop and become toxic. Once you try sand you will find that you love it and if you keep cory cats they will never be able to thank you enough!!!

ALASKA

I knew crushed coral and shells could raise your pH, but had never heard that about sand...... -_-

Silica sand, pool filter sand and silver sand are all inert and will not affect pH or hardness. If your sand has affected your pH then your using the wrong sand.

I was going to get a sand that said "Marine sand" but on the back it says that it is safe for freshwater.

I've got play sand and my pH has been constant :dunno: It says right on it that it's silica sand...

Play sand is silver sand, ive used it in 9 of my 12 tanks and have had no problems with pH or hardness.

Never believe a word the lfs workers say, most can write what they know about fish and fish keeping on the back of a postcard.

I just now doublechecked and my pH is same as always - 6.8 and the play sand just went in last Monday :dunno:

Most reactions

Back