George's Algae Disaster

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I'm quite surprised by how much algae you got with no CO2 just for a week, does this tank just have the standard Juwel lighting?

I'm looking forward to this tank, the tank from Jeremy Gay and the HC emersed planted tank!

I'm quite surprised by how much algae you got with no CO2 just for a week, does this tank just have the standard Juwel lighting?

I'm looking forward to this tank, the tank from Jeremy Gay and the HC emersed planted tank!

I doubled the lighting, as mentioned in the blog... ;)

Just shows how poor CO2 and sudden environmental changes = algae and melted crypts.

You'll have to wait until the Jan issue to see Jeremy's tank now. Sorry.

Cube is on hold now too. I'll get around to it eventually. Busy aint the word.

I doubled the lighting, as mentioned in the blog... ;)

Just shows how poor CO2 and sudden environmental changes = algae and melted crypts.

You'll have to wait until the Jan issue to see Jeremy's tank now. Sorry.

Cube is on hold now too. I'll get around to it eventually. Busy aint the word.

I mourn the loss of many crypts. :-( They should recover, right?

I just removed my CO2 from my 36g and my 20g, but with my lighting, and considering that the CO2 injection has not been regular for some months now, I don't even think the plants will know the difference. I hadn't changed the canisters in a month. I think I had some moonshine when I finally opened the canisters. :sick:

Look forward to the redo. It'll be great.

llj

I hate to say it, but it's reassuring to know that no one is completely immune to algae, even you George ;)

I will add that its a massive shame, that tank looked great, although you'd have gotten itchy fingers soon anyway and ripped it all apart so guess this just brought that event forward a few weeks ;) can have fun re-doing it now.

Sam

I was going to offer to buy that tank complete for 1,000,000 (turkish Lira) but I guess the deals off.

Are the balansae melted too? Such a shame cos they were gorgeous.

Looking forward to the next scape though.

Andy

Geroge, whats the tall plants bending over called?
I want some for my tank.

'Oh that darn plant, now I have to start all over again'

Don't be too upset ;)

This tank has inspired me to do a low-tech in my Juwel 180.

It's also good to see all of the plant posts in the blog section, there are loads! Before you started writing for PFK George, you would rarely see a plant blog, it shows how influential you've been to the readers.

Sorry to hear your little problems George but with out them the hobby will be a bit boring. :lol:

I mourn the loss of many crypts. :-( They should recover, right?

I just removed my CO2 from my 36g and my 20g, but with my lighting, and considering that the CO2 injection has not been regular for some months now, I don't even think the plants will know the difference. I hadn't changed the canisters in a month. I think I had some moonshine when I finally opened the canisters. :sick:

Look forward to the redo. It'll be great.

llj
Yes, the crypts would recover but I'm keen to try something new. Call me fickle... :)

I suspect your tanks will do just fine without CO2 injection. You are the TFF Queen of Low-tech!

I hate to say it, but it's reassuring to know that no one is completely immune to algae, even you George ;)

I will add that its a massive shame, that tank looked great, although you'd have gotten itchy fingers soon anyway and ripped it all apart so guess this just brought that event forward a few weeks ;) can have fun re-doing it now.

Sam

I created the algae bloom on purpose, in empathy for you, Sam! ;)

You are right too, it was ready for a re-scape.

I was going to offer to buy that tank complete for 1,000,000 (turkish Lira) but I guess the deals off.

Are the balansae melted too? Such a shame cos they were gorgeous.

Looking forward to the next scape though.

Andy

Haha!

The balansae was the only really salvageable crypt. They're in the 120cm now.

Cheers.

Aaah, so it does happen to the best of us. ;)

Yep!

Geroge, whats the tall plants bending over called?
I want some for my tank.

Crytocoryne balansae. An awesome plant.

'Oh that darn plant, now I have to start all over again'

Don't be too upset ;)

I'll try... :D

This tank has inspired me to do a low-tech in my Juwel 180.

It's also good to see all of the plant posts in the blog section, there are loads! Before you started writing for PFK George, you would rarely see a plant blog, it shows how influential you've been to the readers.

Cool.

Yes, the UK planted tank hobby is growing nicely. It nice to be a part of it, as is everyone here and on UKAPS etc, especially you youngsters. Keep up the good work, Mike. You are guys and girls are the future of the hobby.

Sorry to hear your little problems George but with out them the hobby will be a bit boring. :lol:

Indeed, Alex. I hope I can achieve something as nice as your aquascapes... :)

is this it.

Sorry for the hijack. Also the tank prior to its accident it was totally stunning.
Mind you I would like to have seen a full view shot with the algae :)

is this it.

Sorry for the hijack. Also the tank prior to its accident it was totally stunning.
Mind you I would like to have seen a full view shot with the algae :)

Yes, that's it.

I took a full tank shot but it didn't look that bad to be honest. The close-ups are better for impact.

I'll be taking full tank shots before I clean up properly in the next update, so you'll get an idea.

Most reactions

Back