"general" PH increaers/decreasers

GrullaQuarters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was at the LFS the other day, and amongst all of their chemical stuff for fish tanks, I saw a general PH adjuster. It wasn't like the others I"ve seen, that depending on teh product, either increases PH or decreases it, this stuff was to be used to maintain 7.0 area regardless of if the ph was high or low. Does it work?

See, I had a BGK, and boy did I like him! He died, after 2 weeks (seemed healthy and was eating), and I'd like to get another...but would first like to make sure my tank is where it should be. My tank specs are below. If there is anything I may need to work on, please let me know...I'm not sure if the alkalinity buffering is bad or not. But the tank has been the same...no fluctuating of anything.

Amonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40
Hardness- 25
Alkalinity/Buffering- 300
PH- 8.0-8.2

Temp is 78, 30% water changes on a weekly basis, while adding stress coat and stress zyme. We have well water, so no chlorine. Gravel gets lightly vaccumed weekly as well.

I don't know what killed my BGK, perhaps it would have happened regardless of the tank conditions...he was active, not stressed or picked on...and I would like to get another, but just want to make sure things are PERFECT before I do. However, the LFS where I get them has a ph the same as my tank, so perhaps I should leave it alone? What about the Nitrates? Buffering? Should something be changed? THere are so many products out there, I'm not quite sure what I should use......

Thanks

Most of the products available just aren't necessary. Those ph products are very unstable, and are much further ahead to use your water as it is. If you want to lower the ph you are better off using a natural method, like peat moss. Unless you have a specific reason, there is no benefit to adding any of those consumable products to the water, most are full of it anyway - just consumables for more profit.

Here is a list of the additives I use in all of my aquariums.
1. Water Conditioner.

:)

Nitrates at 40 seems a little high to me, and could be a problem. Is that after your water change? Are you using tap water, and if so what nitrate level does it test at? Live plants would help bring the nitrates down, so if you don't have any in the tank, you might want to consider adding some. I've heard java fern is a good one to bring it down, but you might want to ask at your lfs for others.

Most reactions

Back