Gelt's Fishless Cycle Log

Yes, it does.. unless you have another glitch, in which case you start the qualifying week over.

I assume you know what to do at the end of the qualifying week?

Yes, it does.. unless you have another glitch, in which case you start the qualifying week over.

I assume you know what to do at the end of the qualifying week?

yep my understanding is after qualifying week :
day before adding new fish:
large waterchange prolly 90%+ (declorinated of course)& maintenance check on filter internal glass clean and vac
Add plants as required

monitor water chemistry to make sure all nitrAtes are gone or at least 10 ppm (my tap water standard)if not water change again 50% then test .
set heater 22- 24 C
continue to monitor over 12-24 hrs full readings
drip acclimatization in bag for the fish over a number of hours.
add fish no feeding for 24 hrs

think thats all!

G

Sounds like it! Congrats! Only 7 more days!

You might as well do 100% water change.
Again, worry about the ammonia and nitrites when testing rather than nitrates. 20ppm above your tap water will be fine.
Set the heater to what will be suitable for the fish and monitor via your thermometer.

Exciting times!

Thanks for the advice BBB,

Day 27 1900 hrs readings as expected NH3+NH4 - 0 ppm , N02 0 ppm , N03 80+ ppm - That NitrAte sure builds up fast considering 90% wc only a few days ago!

The only problem i see is my baseline Tap stats for Ammonia is 0.25 ppm - how can i overcome this when i have fish in the tank and i am doing my weekly water change of 20%???

G

Thanks for the advice BBB,

Day 27 1900 hrs readings as expected NH3+NH4 - 0 ppm , N02 0 ppm , N03 80+ ppm - That NitrAte sure builds up fast considering 90% wc only a few days ago!

The only problem i see is my baseline Tap stats for Ammonia is 0.25 ppm - how can i overcome this when i have fish in the tank and i am doing my weekly water change of 20%???

G

I wouldn't think 0.25 ammonia will have any effect on the fish as if the tank is breaking down 4ppm in 12 hours it will break down 0.25ppm in no time at all won't it.

As i understand it, ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish at very low levels.
The effects might not be immediate such as death or physically apparent harm but affect them in way that may bring about a greater susceptability to illness and disease and damage to its internal organs and effects on healthy growth.
The water conditioner used during water changes should detoxify ammonia and nitrite from your tap water so that your filter can process them.
However, not all conditioners are made equal.
I use and recommend Seachem Prime,

Use a dechlorinator which deals with ammonia, for example Prime or Stress Coat.

Use a dechlorinator which deals with ammonia, for example Prime or Stress Coat.

Thanks Kat and BBB valued advice as ever..

Day 28 - 0700 hrs - zeros for Ammonia and N02 within 12 hrs as previous days - however unexplained PH drop from 7.4 low to 6.8 low , High PH remains at 7.6

Nothing added to tank or change i water chemistry, although i did notice Temp was down to 28.3 as opposed to usual 29.5 C

' its a strange magic this fishy stuff!'

G

Day 28 - 0700 hrs - zeros for Ammonia and N02 within 12 hrs as previous days - however unexplained PH drop from 7.4 low to 6.8 low , High PH remains at 7.6

Nothing added to tank or change i water chemistry, although i did notice Temp was down to 28.3 as opposed to usual 29.5 C

' its a strange magic this fishy stuff!'

G

Does this mean that the "regular" pH test says 6.8, but the high pH test says 7.6? :blink:

That is a bit odd. Anyone have an explanation for that?

yep thats what the readings were for PH low 6.8 high 7.4

Day 28 - 1900 hrs readings - Ammonia 0 N02 0

2 tsp Bicarb added to boost Ph @ 1200 hrs Ph now 7.6 - 8.0

Redosed ammonia to 4ppm

Everything on track

G

Day 29 - five days in a row of double zeros, i want to take it until at least 7 or 8 days to be certain , in case of any hiccups

Ph decreased to more or less what i have seen as the tank normal levels - PH now 7.6 low to 7.8 High

Temp stable at 29.5C

all going well

G

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back