Gallons?

StripySnailGirl04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Universe
Hello,
I am a person that typically uses litres to describe the volume of my fish tank because I am not familiar with any units outside of the metric system. Many people on this forum use gallons and I have an approximate idea on the volume one may be describing. However, I went on the TFF calculator and apparently there is a difference between US gallons and Imperial gallons and I don't quite know the difference. Most importantly, which gallons do the members of TFF use because I am really confused! ????

I know...these Americans need to get with the program! 🤣

When talking in aquarium-ese, it's always US gallons. There are about 4ish litres in 1 US gallon.

With tanks it's normally US gallons. Tanks sold in the US and possibly Canada (?) are quoted in US gallons while tanks sold in other countries quote the volume in litres. But that doesn't mean that members on here only use US gallons; if the member is located in the US, it will be US gallons but members located elsewhere could be using either.
The conversions to remember are 1 US gallon = 3.8 litres; 1 Imperial gallon = 4.5 litres.

I have also realised that US tanks come in standard dimensions. 20 gallon tanks are always the same dimensions. In the UK, tanks of the same volume could be different sizes.

However, be careful when dosing things (water conditioner, meds, whatever) as many manufacturers use Imperial gallons. Many UK manufacturers (eg King British, Waterlife) use Imperial gallons and so do some European manufacturers (eg eSHa). American manufacturers (eg API, Seachem) use US gallons.
To be on the safe side it is better to work out the dose for a tank volume in litres.

these Americans need to get with the program! 🤣
US gallons are freedom units of measurement. LOL.

Joking aside, the gallons to liters is one of the easiest conversions, 4 liters to a gallon, as others already mentioned.

Unless you're doing some scientific precision work, that does just fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back