Fw Wave Maker?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
So, tank is 105 liters. There is little to no flow in there. So I was thinking, without buying a whole new filter, what options are there? So I was in chat and smelly had just gotten a wave maker.
So questions:
Would this create the flow I want?
Is this a good model?
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=5653
Comments?

* tank has all south American tetras/ bristlensoe.

Also interested - I just bought some cheap Chinese one of eBay to test it out.

Hydor are a well reknowned make.

I have a cheap one from all pond solutions in the UK, which is essentially a Chinese cheap one. It's relatively noisy and large but otherwise does the job. Hydors are smaller and quieter. Vortech are also highly recommended but in a whole new price bracket.

Hmmm sound never came to me as an issue surely it can't be too loud as it's submerged underwater? 

Internal filters are pretty loud sometimes...
I gues you'll just see what sound your model makes smelly. :)

TT got my powerhead in the mail today it works nicely it's not completely silent but it's not loud. However I'll get back to you tomorrow as the tank's next to my bed and that's when you really notice if something's loud!

Cool! Could you get a vid of the tank so I can see the flow amount please?

- It was pretty silent I'll take a video sometime soon and post it :)

A lot of the noise is from vibrations, the water just serves to transmit the sound, although it does dampen things a bit. Mine isn't massively noisy, it's just not as quiet as the higher cost ones. You get what you pay for I suppose. The tank it's in is out of the way here, so noise isn't a massive issue, but it could be a problem in a bedroom until you get used to it.

Yes, I've heard good things about them and about new jet pumps.

one thing, always worth considering, both on saving the planet and your pocket, is the annual running costs of a pump in electricity.

A cheap 50W pump compared to an expensive 5W pump can end up costing more over a couple of years.

maybe take a look at marineland's maxi jet pro? its a three in one pump. It comes with everything to make it a utility pump, power head, or a water circulator. Its got good reviews and you wont have saw off your legs or arms! 
good.gif
I'm looking to get one soon also. So I need a test dummy to see if I should get one or not. 
whistling.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back