Fry betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Erica27

Reaction score
What should I do if there are no stores around me that sells live baby Brian Shimp. Can I use pellets and crush them up? Or should I just use fry powder?

Also I did find a place that sold frozen baby brine shrimp.

You can try the frozen BBS if the fry are old enough.

You can order brine shrimp eggs online.

What size fry are you feeding? I usually use micro worms and infusoria for betta fry that have just started to be free swimming. Then I switch to baby brine shrimp+micro worms when they're large enough.

If you are feeding tiny betta fry chances are they won't eat food that isn't moving. Dry foods are often a no-go so if you can't find live then frozen is the next best thing.

If you have Betta fry that are less than 2 weeks old, use a powdered fry food for egg layers.

You can also hard boil an egg, remove the shell and white part and dispose of them. Push the yellow yolk through a handkerchief into a small container of dechlorinated water. Put a lid on the container and shake it up. Then use an eye dropper to suck some of the solution up and add it to the fry tank. The babies will eat the smaller pieces of egg yolk and it will get them through the first few weeks of life. You can continue feeding egg yolk for 1 month if you have no other food available.

Make sure you have an air operated sponge filter on the tank or do daily water changes (using water from the adult's tank) to keep the ammonia levels down.

-----------------------
If the fry are more than 2 weeks old you can feed them crushed up fish food. However, live and finely chopped frozen foods like prawn is better than flake or pellet food.

Whenever you add new food to their diet, continue feeding the old food for a week or more to make sure all the fry are eating the new food. Once all the fry are eating the new food you can discontinue the old food or keep feeding both foods. The more variety the better.

-----------------------
The following has information on culturing food for baby fish and hatching brineshrimp eggs, which are available online or from most pet shops.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

Would Walter worms or bananas worms work for fry who just stared swimming. I don’t have any so I’m not in like a rush or anything just wanted to be prepared!

If the fry are more than 2 weeks old you can feed them crushed up fish food.
There is more than a good chance very young Betta fry will refuse crushed up fish food

Last edited:
What should I do if there are no stores around me that sells live baby Brian Shrimp. Can I use pellets and crush them up? Or should I just use fry powder?
for all fry ages for bettas, they can eat newly hatched baby Brine shrimp (powdered food), but if the fry are newly hatched, like if they are only a few days old, the newly hatched baby brine is the way to go.

Does anyone know at what age I can feed them either Walter worms or bananas worms? And for how long?

What are these worms, i have never heard of them, of all of the worms i have heard of, not one has been even close to it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back