Friendly Male Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gurnie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A few years ago when I was in college I had this great blue male betta. He'd eat fleas of my cats (when we had a slight flea problem after adopting a cat off the street) and eat them from my hands, always swam to the front glass and watch me work at the computer... just really interesting little guy.

I decided to split the tank and put a female blue betta in. They flaired their gills at eachother for a number of months before I took out the divider and let them mingle.

This male betta adored the little female betta, and neither of them had a nipping problem. They were very peaceful with eachother, and happy, until she got old and died (they lived in the same 2 gallon for over a year). After that he wasn't the same (fishy had a broken heart) and died a few months after.

So now I am in an office setting and I set-up a fish tank. right now i'm just letting the water do its thing, and letting the levels just kinda level out.

But is this normal behavior of a male and a female after being exposed to each other for a long period of time? How can you tell how good your betta's temperment is before introducing him to a female.

Um... I would say never add a female and male. Even though they might be okay for a while, you never know when the male might just decide to kill her. It could be while you're not looking, and then you'd end up with a dead fish. Even if you catch them in time, they'll probably be hurt.
I say don't risk your bettas' lives. It is much easier to divide the bettas, or have a sorority of females.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back