The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello,

I've had a 65 gallon up and running for about a year now.

About a month ago I noticed a small growth on the end of one of the black phantom tetra's. It was sort of a whitish large blob. Today I saw it had gotten a bit redder. So I tried to net the fish to take a picture and it just got knocked off. Noticed that another of the phantoms has something similar. Also on the end of his tail fin. I've attached images, anyone know what this is, should I attempt to remove the one attached to the other fish?
ad5e6ce93264e0b6652a7fef3fa35028.jpg
14007338a6d3235679a56d0c7b9353bb.jpg

Sent from my PRO 7 Plus using Tapatalk

Here are some extra pictures through a microscope...
838e1955996980d8d4ef0ac24264e737.jpg
fea5ebc470fd2b10608c3e194b96eb32.jpg
8b6ea05044cc194e7b9266dfe68dd06c.jpg

blurk, gross. puking up.

can you post pictures of the fish with the growths still on them?

blurk, gross. puking up.

can you post pictures of the fish with the growths still on them?
Sure, here's a picture of the other fish. Used my phone to take the picture, so the light contrast is a bit funky. The white blob in person is clearer than it appears in the picture.
177e0787cd85291ae010b16205199cfb.jpg

Are you talking about the white bit on the tail?

If a number of fish have them it could be lymphocystis, which is a stress virus that produces white nodules on the body and fins (usually the fins). When the stress is gone and the fish's immune system recovers, the virus goes and the white blobs fall off. It could also be something else like fungus but it doesn't look fungusy (not a word I know).

Are you talking about the white bit on the tail?

If a number of fish have them it could be lymphocystis, which is a stress virus that produces white nodules on the body and fins (usually the fins). When the stress is gone and the fish's immune system recovers, the virus goes and the white blobs fall off. It could also be something else like fungus but it doesn't look fungusy (not a word I know).
I saw these appear during a week when I was very ill and had to skip a water change...

Fed less that week, but still water quality wasn't where I'd like it to be. Since then I've been doing regular water changes and everything. Is there anything else I can do other than maintain water quality?

If it's Lymphocystis, then you just keep the tank clean with water changes and gravel cleaning, clean the filter, increase aeration, feed 3-4 times a day and offer a variety of food, and keep the temperature stable. The fish will fight off the virus and recover if they are well maintained.

If it's Lymphocystis, then you just keep the tank clean with water changes and gravel cleaning, clean the filter, increase aeration, feed 3-4 times a day and offer a variety of food, and keep the temperature stable. The fish will fight off the virus and recover if they are well maintained.
Bumping up an old thread.

So the original fish who's growth fell off, great back three smaller growths. These are growing much slower though. The fish in the image requested seems to have gotten worse. Now the fish seem OK, eat normally/arent losing weight. Only difference is that they move their tail much more when swimming. I find it hard to believe that this isn't causing them stress.

Ever since this post I've been doing weekly 60-70% water changes. It doesn't seem to be contagious (or at least symptoms don't appear on other fish) only two black skirt tetras have it. Tank also has angelfish, corys, cardinal tetras and breeding Ancistrus. All fish are fine except the two black skirts.

Pictures included:
a6eb1cbf298b1584830906e9b6b48a2a.jpg
20218f9101b9a37c1f21ae19c34eab20.jpg
f9639989f4389100b1f7ec0b030ed9b0.jpg

It still looks like Lymphocystis, although the first pic it appears to have lines running through the tail, which could be veins feeding it with blood, and the second pic kind of looks like a rounded ball with a bit more and that could be a tumour.

The fish also have black in their tail which is damaged tissue like bruising.

-----------------------
Do you have a picture on the back of the tank?
It wouldn't hurt to add one if you don't.

-----------------------
Try adding juice from purple or orange foods like apricots, orange squash, blueberries or purple carrots to frozen food each day and see if it helps. Don't use citrus.

You can get fish vitamins and add that to their food each day. If you can't get fish vitamins, use a bird or reptile vitamin supplement. Check the expiry date on any vitamins you buy.

-----------------------
If you feel brave you could carefully catch the fish and put it in a bucket of tank water. Gently hold the fish and scrape the growth off its tail with your finger nails. Then put the fish in Methylene Blue for a few minutes before returning it to the tank. That will remove the growth and make it easier for the fish to swim. The growth might grow back after.

It still looks like Lymphocystis, although the first pic it appears to have lines running through the tail, which could be veins feeding it with blood, and the second pic kind of looks like a rounded ball with a bit more and that could be a tumour.

The second pic is just a bit fuzzy. It looks like a cluster of red-ish white long lumps, sort of like a freakish cauliflower. I have noticed veins that seem to go to that area.

Try adding juice from purple or orange foods like apricots, orange squash, blueberries or purple carrots to frozen food each day and see if it helps. Don't use citrus.

You can get fish vitamins and add that to their food each day. If you can't get fish vitamins, use a bird or reptile vitamin supplement. Check the expiry date on any vitamins you buy.

Will look into vitamins as frozen food I can't find in my area. I supplement different dry foods with weekly brine shrimp (might start using aphids from the garden).

If you feel brave you could carefully catch the fish and put it in a bucket of tank water. Gently hold the fish and scrape the growth off its tail with your finger nails. Then put the fish in Methylene Blue for a few minutes before returning it to the tank. That will remove the growth and make it easier for the fish to swim. The growth might grow back after.

I was thinking of surgery too. If the black parts on the fin are bruising (which I didn't notice because some of the fish have black pigment in their skin) should I maybe try cutting into the fin as well?
I assume the methylene blue is an antibiotic, could I use any fish antibiotic for this purpose?

Do you have a picture on the back of the tank?
It wouldn't hurt to add one if you don't.

Only a (dirty) white background at the moment. Hoping to get a black background soon.

I was thinking of surgery too. If the black parts on the fin are bruising (which I didn't notice because some of the fish have black pigment in their skin) should I maybe try cutting into the fin as well?
I assume the methylene blue is an antibiotic, could I use any fish antibiotic for this purpose?
Don't cut the fin/ tail. There is no need to.

Methylene Blue is used to kill bacteria and fungus. You can use other medications if you like but Methylene Blue is safer. If you use other medications, you can put a drop on the tail after scraping the growth off. Then put the fish back in the tank.

Don't cut the fin/ tail. There is no need to.

Methylene Blue is used to kill bacteria and fungus. You can use other medications if you like but Methylene Blue is safer. If you use other medications, you can put a drop on the tail after scraping the growth off. Then put the fish back in the tank.
Thanks for the advice, will do so once I get my hands on medication. Will update this thread when I do.

Most reactions

trending

Back